OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: HPD Intercooler installed into CRD - strange swooshing noise + vibration in cab

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HPD Intercooler installed into CRD - strange swooshing noise + vibration in cab

Hi all

I finally got around to installing my upgraded HPD Intercooler for my 2012 CRD. Now I initially had some turbo squeals from a poorly fitted pipe but I re-fit all the pipes nice a snug and eliminated that. However I am noticing a swooshing/swirling noise that is quite audible when moving and it disappears under acceleration. Im assuming this is a large amount of air passing through the intercooler perhaps than what I am use to? Any tips from those who have done the same mod. I have also been getting some increase vibration into the cabin. I have put some rubber washers between the firewall and the mount which has eliminated most of those vibrations but would love to see what others have done in the past. (Image taken just after mounting).

IMG-20210117-WA0041.jpeg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to denk82 For This Useful Post:

Stropp (22nd February 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Swooshing noise will be the air moving through a larger intercooler. If you think that's noticeable, you should hear the cross country cooler on top of a td42 under boost...
    But I noticed you said it goes away under acceleration? Does the swooshing go away or the vibration?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Stropp (22nd February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Swooshing noise will be the air moving through a larger intercooler. If you think that's noticeable, you should hear the cross country cooler on top of a td42 under boost...
    But I noticed you said it goes away under acceleration? Does the swooshing go away or the vibration?

Yep, thats what I would reckon to, and the vibe might be cavitation going on in the water system as the air settles out, so keep an eye on what your coolant level is doing over the next few weeks., as the air pockets may have entered the air heater circuit as well, but if cabin vibe is significantly increased, then something else is going on there pal, needing checking.

Also the cooing pigeon noises would be from that little Blow off valve...or they could be some nesting pigeons as well
    Last edited by Truckus; 23rd February 2021 at 03:27 PM.
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post

Thanks Hodge. Ive watched it like a hawk and I did some kms over the weekend and everything is going fine just the swooshing noise absolutely coming from the intercooler. I think Im just not use to it yet. As for vibrations, it was only during idle through the dash mostly. Its nothing I can physically feel. I have placed some anti-vibration washers between the bracket and the fire wall... vibration gone.