Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breathers & Nissan Snorkel???

On a 2013 Y61 3L CRD do we have gearbox breathers? Is it a good idea to fit breathers, or aren't they really necessary?

I've not done anything with the front breather as it goes half way up the firewall anyway, should I extend it?? Where have others mounted the front diff breather?

Rear diff, I have extended that breather, out & into & up to the top of the fuel filler cavity. Where have others placed their rear diff breather???

And the stock Nissan GU ex Airtec snorkel. Do I need to do anything to it to make sure it's water tight????

Thanks for any help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MB (17th February 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All depends on how stupidly deep we plan on or maybe accidentally taking our trucks underwater 10g Mate. Gear oil hates water as it emulsifies up like a cappuccino creamy froth and bang goes your gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

10G (17th February 2021), Rossco (17th February 2021)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are the breathers for the gearbox & transfer case?? Does it have any??

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MB (17th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely will have breathers for both boxes 10g Mate. There should an approximate 6mm hard tube line coming down from above somewhere near the gearbox to transfer case connection on the passenger side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MB I appreciate the help. I'll take a look later tonight.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah they are hard tube running along the passenger side chassis rail then up into the left corner of the left wheel arch. They are connected to the gearbox with a rubber hose and also to the diffs the same way. Chase from the diff and you will find all of them. The gearbox one will run parallel to the rear diff one. I cant imagine this being very different for the 3.0, both my GQ and GUIV are the same setup.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

10G (17th February 2021)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    ........And the stock Nissan GU ex Airtec snorkel. Do I need to do anything to it to make sure it's water tight????
    If you plan to go into deep water you should sort it. The air box/snorkel joint at the inner guard is nowhere near water tight.

Cut the flange off the air box inlet, and the front off the snorkel tube inside the guard.
    A Sonic Performance brand 4" x 3.5" silicone reducing elbow is a perfect fit at both ends. I got mine from MTQ.
    It smooths out the shocker of a bend, and fixes the air box seal at the inner guard, all in one go......

http://www.sonicperformance.com.au/H...-90-Deg/pl.php
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 17th February 2021 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Fixed Link

13. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffayres For This Useful Post:

10G (17th February 2021)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the help, got a trip to the tip coming up and expect to see some water up there.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the help, got a trip to the tip coming up and expect to see some water up there.
    Nice one. the breathers should be find up on the back of the fire wall up high. You can go into the Snorkel but for the most part the fire wall will be fine. The suction caused by them cooling when you enter the water will pass quickly i reckon. if you come to a stop in the water and flood the engine bay to the underside of the bonnet then the diff is already cooled. And..... you have bigger problems. lol
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another good water proofing improvement form factory is to seal up the clutch a bit better (assumimg its a manual). Worth siliconing around the fork boot both ends and also the little bung at the bottom of the bell housing. Can pull it out every service or so often to check theres no water that's got in or oil that might have come from rear main.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast