Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T-Ruckus rebuilt modified 2005 Y61 GU 6.5L intercooled turbo ST wagon

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah cheers mate, thank you for your Service. .

It is likely that whoever rebuilt the diffs probably gave the swivel housing a clean and paint while it was off. Easy to do while they are off. I have also painted the actual Knuckle a couple of times too after a rub down to help prolong the scraper seal life

I don't know anywhere making custom swivel housings and they would want drug money to make singles I reckon.

I'm pretty confident that they have fitted the offset Race kit for you.

Water under the bridge mate, cash paid.

Welcome to this place mate, make sure you ask questions here before splashing your hard earned.

That is a pretty good vid. Interesting strip down he did. He left the stub axle on until last?? For reference though, to swap out the upper race on the king pin you can litterally take the back seals off, the upper and lower king pins out, remove the Brake calliper and the drag link and tie rod from that side and then pull the whole lot off in 1 piece. Crazy to see but easy to do. Pop out the upper race and reinstall. I'm just trying to look out for you brother.

Here is a thread I wrote a few years ago now. Before YouTube was a thing lol. It still gets a lot of traffic which 8s good for the forum

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Rebuild-Thread
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 18th February 2021 at 05:20 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a great thread topic mate, very instructional and a handy bit of info to link in to this topic as well.

Now did you find there is any significant difference between the GQ front end assembly (featured in your link) with the Y61 series. I have read somewhere, I can't remember where it was, that these evolved through out the GU Y61 era (that near spanned 20 years)?

So yep these days, I am more conservative with the crawl option for rock and clay work with decent spotted line selections, rather than smash wheeling right foot on through, as I want to preserve as much stuff as I can, and CV change outs on the track are no fun and would really get my mates chalking up the beers on me.

I still rock the momentum for sand and mud though...as one does....our trucks love to put the off road make up on!

Thanks again for the tips and hints too...yep perhaps I fell into the "leave it with us" trap, as they had the vehicle for over a week. I public transported back and out there to collect (and that takes ages here) so options were limited.

Cheers Adz and Truckus.
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fundamentally the Swivel hubs of a GQ and a GU are basically identical. The Axle seals are the same. The wheel bearing lock nut on a GU is better and not the bend tab locking ring. Thee CV is bigger in a GU and also the Brakes are better and they are slightly wider and longer axles. I run GU diffs under my GQ for the bigger CVs and the Brake upgrade was significant.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TA! for the info and confirmation.

Today us earth and short chasing,Low beams are fine, high beams and spots out of service. Likely fuses or relay issue....either that or those possums and bush rats livin' on the edge now!

(I actually had a bush rats build a nest and eat through engine main wiring harness on a vehicle I had parked up in the carport while I was away on a deployment, so with the bush around here, one can not discount anything)

Man...the electrical section of the GU manual...painful...and only half relevant now.
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler2058 View Post
    Absolute weapon mate, love it. You can wank on as much as you like hahahahaha
    I like to watch he he
    WOW some $$$$$ thrown at your Patrol, any issues with over heating at all??
    Love it love it love it
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so much 3dogs.

Asked a question about a weird quirk about 10 mins after start up when Gauge goes three quarters to full scale then settles back on half (all day), but after some solid advice from MB...I am sourcing a redarc digital Aftermarket gauge and sender to install so I can monitor what the coolant temp is, and if needed go with the a set of 88C AcDelco Thermostat.

As long as keep the radiator breathing and clear of crap no evident over temp issues that I have noticed as yet...touching wood!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the hunt for a decent steering dampener at the moment, started a topic for the GU post 2000s here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...l=1#post816791

Suggestions and experiences welcome over there, and I will post the finished result and comments here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

MB (27th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @beneboy is all over top suspension/steering stuff Truckus Mate, hopefully he can chime in although I think he works out yonder off grid sometimes.
    FWIW: RidePro I think steering dampener on my 6.5 GU ute seems ok, just had a Dobinson fitted to a lighter GQ ute project so will take some time for feedback unfortunately from nuffy me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Truckus (28th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers MB, I am thinking as it is a tourer first (and my primary vehicle..not quiet a daily, I only go out three or four times a week tops), technical tracks and beaches second (add mud, water, rock, clay shale and accents and descents) that potentially the RTC would be OK, but then again, I am also thinking sand, mud and crap would get caught up in the could work and the spring collar and become a ball ache and corrosion failure point eventually.

Perhaps the folks may comment n their experiences in the topic I did for this upgrade. Current one is stamped partbox 4861, and I think she may be the original that came with the wagon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

MB (28th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyhow, went with the Dobinson dampener, so its in the mail, but I have now found the issue with cooling and temp gauge gremlin. that I was chatting about earlier with the 10 mins after cold start temp rise, and then settle.

Bad news...I am now onto Brunswick in WA organizing warranty claim for what is either cracked heads or blown head gaskets on an engine 11 months old with 17000 Kms on it.

Found coolant tank was pressuring even on cold start as was running on OBD scan on the temp sender output to get a confidence check that the gauge is telling me good info (as was prepping to have digital A/M gauge installed). It was and coolant still cool and the signal was correct, but reservoir already bubbling and gurgling. suggesting exhaust gas pressuring cooling system.

So Tee kay test...and just of the vapor (after draining coolant a bit so it would not go into test chamber and foul readings) coming out of the top of the res, 4 squeezes and she yellow shifted...so..gasket or head crack.

Also fund condensation in EGR valve, but no signs of coolant in sump oil or oil filler cap, nor any soot build up in coolant.

Anyhow, engine still has 25 months warranty or another 43000 Kms on it so now gt to find a way to get it fixed without having to pay to get the car freighted from NSW to WA and back again ( a few grand there at least).

Now in all the time I have owned it, it has never gotten over 3/4 temp on gauge for more than 20 seconds and thats only after ten minutes from cold start before it settled back under half, and then stayed there all day for hot start or constant running, so to my knowledge engine has never kettled or boiled over.

So pretty pissed off atm, and hoping Brunswick has a plan in place to honor warranty for a 27 K install, and another 2K road haul for delivery.

Have spoken with head tech twice now, and he is getting back to me today.

Let us see what happens.
    Last edited by Truckus; 3rd March 2021 at 10:42 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd March 2021), mudnut (3rd March 2021), MudRunnerTD (3rd March 2021)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast