Thread: T-Ruckus rebuilt modified 2005 Y61 GU 6.5L intercooled turbo ST wagon

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T-Ruckus rebuilt modified 2005 Y61 GU 6.5L intercooled turbo ST wagon

Hi Folks, as suggested in my intro topic Here is Truckus.

(T-ruckus is my dads nick name for him as he reckons is big like dinosaur T rex and makes a ruckus and Truckus sort of rhymes with Truck...so I can kind of follow his logic, but he is a sharp 80 years old, so I will go with that logic)

OK So we start with a 2005 ST wagon TD42Ti sourced as best available at the time in WA in 2020.

Off to Brunswick Diesel https://www.brunswickdiesels.com.au/engine-conversion for engine upgrade for fitting of the brand-new Chevrolet 6500 Optimizer inter cooled turbo ,plumbing, adapters, electrical and new custom built all alloy extreme duty radiator. New Stainless steel Axis Fab snorkel fitted and plumbed in

While that was happening, both diffs service and reco as was the Gearbox and TX case, and install or the ARB compressor, air receivers and diff lockers.

Once that was done, vehicle was carted over to NSW for further fit out.

Add on Superior engineering 4 Inch lift kit https://www.superiorengineering.com....on-wagon-28457 with 2,0 Remote reservoir Fox shocks, Superior ENG Drop box and bush upgrades. Then off to the tire shop for some 16 inch rims (16x8 with offset-26 Dynamics with bead locker imo) and some 315/75r16LT Maxxis Razrs MT tires

https://www.tyrepower.com.au/tyres/m...ctcode=1675325

and bead lockers.

Once Fatboy sliders, Kaymar bars & carriers, Rhino racks, spots and bar lights, as well as 12000lbs remote winch all installed, off to the engineers to sign off on all mods for mods, conversion cross over signatory from WA, Blue slip and rego from interstate and then all the rego costs.

On from there it was then a trip to Drifta for the install and fit out of the pull out kitchen, https://www.drifta.com.au/wagon-4-ki...-drawer-table/

and install and set up duel batteries and 12 V swbd fit out https://www.drifta.com.au/12v/ and add 80 l removable water tank that bolt in behind the rear seat cabinet void, and the Clearview Easy slide ES 150 https://www.clearviewaccessories.com...ew-easy-slide/ for the fridge.

Now after all this was done, it was time to sort out the alignment pull to the left issue and intermittent wobbles, so this a combo off the LHS front throwing off a 90 weight, and also the need for an offset trunnion, shims and king pin kit that evidently is required with significant lift for my model wagon set up, to get the ability to get an alignment suitable for Aus road camber.

Anyhow, I know a little bit about suspension, but the lads at Big wheels truck alignment Gosford are experts so if they reckon it would sort the problem , I was all ears...and true to their word it did...and he drives straight as a bullet now, one finger on the wheel, no pull, wobble or vibration at all, and actual improved feedback and handling when cornering...so while pricey (1900 with all that work, balancing and alignment done and bloody GST...well worth it).

The vehicle also has the SME UHF set up (came with the vehicle and android plug and play headset gadget and sub woofer under passenger seat). The other stuff is basically tools recovery gear, crash pad dirty gear bag, hi lift jack, wind deflectors and bonnet deflector cosmetics.

I probably have forgotten stuff, but this was a brief summary with some links for those interested in looking at similar options for their rigs, and I wanted the post to read as friendly, not having a wank or anything like that in today's easily offended world. So hope no one was offended as none was intended.

Time for pics to start with I guess.

20201114_133416.jpg20201114_133429.jpg20201114_133446.jpg20201114_133512.jpg20201114_133529.jpg20201114_133352.jpg20210303_113109.jpg20210301_111420.jpg

Oh yep..PS fun stickers

https://www.patrolhub.com.au/collect...w-banner-small

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jims-Rec....c100752.m1982
    Last edited by Truckus; 3rd March 2021 at 12:17 PM. Reason: slisdexic typing.
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (14th February 2021), growler2058 (16th February 2021), jay see (15th February 2021), MB (13th February 2021), PeeBee (16th February 2021), Stropp (20th February 2021), threedogs (21st February 2021)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mean ride right there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute weapon mate, love it. You can wank on as much as you like hahahahaha

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler2058 View Post
    Absolute weapon mate, love it. You can wank on as much as you like hahahahaha
    I like to watch he he
    WOW some $$$$$ thrown at your Patrol, any issues with over heating at all??
    Love it love it love it
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so much 3dogs.

Asked a question about a weird quirk about 10 mins after start up when Gauge goes three quarters to full scale then settles back on half (all day), but after some solid advice from MB...I am sourcing a redarc digital Aftermarket gauge and sender to install so I can monitor what the coolant temp is, and if needed go with the a set of 88C AcDelco Thermostat.

As long as keep the radiator breathing and clear of crap no evident over temp issues that I have noticed as yet...touching wood!
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the hunt for a decent steering dampener at the moment, started a topic for the GU post 2000s here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...l=1#post816791

Suggestions and experiences welcome over there, and I will post the finished result and comments here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

MB (27th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice looking rg mate, When they fitted the Camber correction kit for $1900 did that include a full swivel hub strip and rebuild or just the camber offset kit? You mention that you had the front and rear diffs rebuilt previously? i assume that was just the centres? Id hate to think you did the full rebuild then the alignment guys charged another 1900 for the camber kit? Surely Not?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Nice looking rg mate, When they fitted the Camber correction kit for $1900 did that include a full swivel hub strip and rebuild or just the camber offset kit? You mention that you had the front and rear diffs rebuilt previously? i assume that was just the centres? Id hate to think you did the full rebuild then the alignment guys charged another 1900 for the camber kit? Surely Not?
    Hey Mud, so the invoice detailed "remove steering components and install offset trunion camber kit, trunion seal kit and full wheel alignment after swapping over left and right front rims and balancing. They included the cost of the trunion camber kit in the labor cost that was 995, detailed the seal kit separately at 198, and then the rest was align balance at 495 plus gst. If that helps.

Diff centers, axles, driveshaft joints, and oil was redone over in WA before vehicle got here.

Cheers or the question!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckus View Post
    Hey Mud, so the invoice detailed "remove steering components and install offset trunion camber kit, trunion seal kit and full wheel alignment after swapping over left and right front rims and balancing. They included the cost of the trunion camber kit in the labor cost that was 995, detailed the seal kit separately at 198, and then the rest was align balance at 495 plus gst. If that helps.

Diff centers, axles, driveshaft joints, and oil was redone over in WA before vehicle got here.

Cheers or the question!
    Cheers mate, I dont want to bag anyone but i reckon they took the pi55 mate. it is money spent now though so oh well, i would not be going back there any time soon though mate. im actually a little sh1tty for you to be honest.

Here is the kit that they fitted.

http://safetsteer.com.au/portal/content/view/192/338/

Here is the fitting instructions

http://safetsteer.com.au/portal/port...t/view/89/141/

The word Trunion is Odd and maybe more commonly used in Heavy Vehicle Transport. They are commonly called King Pin and King Pin Bearings on a Nissan Patrol. All your Seals where New. The Castoline kit is an offset King Pin bearing race as you can see. the $200 charge for a Seal kit is the cost of a full swivel hub rebuild kit for both sides. Im getting crabby even writing this mate. damn it. To be honest, if you told me you paid $1000 for this job i would still say you got ripped. 2K is an outrage bud.

Here is the Cast-O-Line kit on ebay for comparison.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-P...IAAOSwSUxeOS--

I reckon they have charge you like it is a Kenworth or Bus and they wheel alignment is a Huge Job. I'm Gobsmacked mate.

I reckon your local TyrePower would have done the whole job for $500.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 17th February 2021 at 11:58 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Truckus (18th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mud, quite possibly mate, the job started of as just a basic alignment, but the reading were so far out that I was talked into the mod. Once started I was committed so yep...I am still getting expertise on this rig up, and the other issue, even though I worked as a tech and mechanic for over 30 years with the Military, mate, the body is now so limited, that there are many things I know how to do, but the body disabilities prevent me from doing the job myself, hence I am full TPI 88 points DVA medically retired veteran, so just being mobile enough to enjoy wheeling and basic low energy fixes, or work at slow pace fixes is where I limit myself for now.

So yep, I now got to live with limitations, and sure pay folks to do some stuff that I used to be able to do myself but can not now, but that said...at least money is spent and the issue is sorted with warranty.

I guess you can understand why as even being retired with plenty of time, the evolution of the build is slow, and I am cautious going too hard too often and risking breaking stuff, as we tend to do when wheelin' hard.

Now after reading all that.m and your posts here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...l=1#post264096.

I went and had a good look at what was fitted. The swivel hubs housings see figure 9 http://pedders.pl/wp-content/uploads...stallation.pdf

on both sides also look brand new as well so they were replaced, hence my understanding was that the entire swivel hub assemblies (both sides) were replaced with the offset swivel hub bearing assemblies in their entirety, rather than kingpin bearing or offset bearings kit?

Anyhow, at least the info is in this topic now, thanks to your links, for others needing to do the same.

Here is a video for those wondering about how to do this job after reading Muddy's above link

Last edited by Truckus; 18th February 2021 at 12:36 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (18th February 2021), Stropp (20th February 2021)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast