Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

over heating during beach work

Hi All

I have a 2012 3.0l ST Wagon Auto. during beach driving even with tyre let right down it will over heat if going above 2000RPM. i have heard the cooling fan is set to switch off at 2000rpm due to general speed after 2000rpm gives sufficient airflow for cooling etc. what i would like to ask is do others have the same problem and what have you done to resolve it? i am thinking of fitting thermo fans to combat this. radiator is fine and and thermostat is fine, does not overheat anywhere else. and will not overheat on the beach unless i go over 2000rpm. look forward to your replies.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, you will probably find changing down gears ans increasing the revs into the mid 2000s will likely see yoyr temps drop a little.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi mate, you will probably find changing down gears ans increasing the revs into the mid 2000s will likely see yoyr temps drop a little.
    Hi mate unfortunately its an auto wish i had a manual

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,262 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnesy82 View Post
    Hi mate unfortunately its an auto wish i had a manual
    You still can hold it in gear though. You'll have "D", "2" and "1". Try driving a TD42 in sand at full noise for 5 hours. You have one eye on the sand and one on the temp gauge constantly. Lol. But yeah hold it in a lower gear and keep the revs up a little higher.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Rossco (12th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious...what pressure are you running and what size and type of tire are you using. I know when we go up to Belmont Wetlands, they mandate 12 Psi deflation, but we run at 16 psi (fatter rubber) and have no issues chugging along at 1200 rpm.
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

MB (12th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckus View Post
    Just curious...what pressure are you running and what size and type of tire are you using. I know when we go up to Belmont Wetlands, they mandate 12 Psi deflation, but we run at 16 psi (fatter rubber) and have no issues chugging along at 1200 rpm.
    Yeah I'm making No Boost at 1200. The sweet spot for thr TD is about 2300 in the sand
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running between 10 and 16psi depending on how soft it is,

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And toyo open country. 275/65 17s, runs fine just trundling along but want to see what i can do to help it when having to work harder in the real soft stuff without having to stop every 500m to let it cool down

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,262 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnesy82 View Post
    And toyo open country. 275/65 17s, runs fine just trundling along but want to see what i can do to help it when having to work harder in the real soft stuff without having to stop every 500m to let it cool down
    Are you just going by the factory gauge? If so what is it going up too? Also, as said, hold it in 2nd or 1st depending on the terrain, also use low range too to get the revs up a bit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done lots (and lots) of sand driving in my GU 3L with no problems. You have a cooling issue somewhere. Could be the fan coupling. Have you checked the ATF level? When was the last time the auto was serviced? As mentioned above - put the auto into a lower gear and keep the revs up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast