Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    That's why I asked the question.
    And you have your answer...

IF you were thinking about better fuel filtration, remove and replace the existing setup. Adding an extra filter will just create extra flow resistance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have the glass bowl filter in my GQ as thr only filtration. I like it as I can see the contaminants. I don't have a lift pump.

In the GU I have a lift pump and 2 filters. I replace the factory filter at every oil change and I'm ok with that. I like 2 level redundancy and the lift pump makes it possible. I'm also running a big turbo, 12mm pump and big power. I like the lift pump.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (12th February 2021), MB (12th February 2021), Risky (9th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a Fuel Manager 30 micron pre-filter with the optional electronic water sensor. They have a good reputation for early water contamination alert whereas the factory sensor is not as sensitive, as some ZD owners have unfortunately experienced.
    The Fuel Manager filter is much easier to replace than the factory unit and will extend the useful life of the factory unit.
    I also run a Carter 4600 as lift pump and it all works well with a 150kw TD42T.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

MB (13th February 2021), Risky (15th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think a lift pump is necessary unless perhaps running a set which requires 'extra' fuel. Not sure about that, but I can say with total confidence that if Risky's vehicle is pretty standard it is not required. I run a pre-filter in my car (same year & model as Risky's) which engine-wise is bog standard other than a 3" exhaust & a modest dynoed increase in turbo pressure.

What I have found particularly useful over several years now was to fit a squeezy bulb type one way pump into the fuel feed line before the pre-filter. It makes priming the filters & getting the csr going sooo much quicker & easier than relying on the little pump doofah on top of the standard fuel filter housing. Just make sure that the one you buy is suited to diesel, not all are.

I use one of those ubiquitous Delphi HDF296 type filters (which depending on brand of filter element used (available at every rural store around Australia) can be anything as 'small' as 2 micron) without any issue. I have extended the change period of the factory filter a couple of times since commencing with the pre filters, after examining the innards of the standard fuel filters following use & finding them 'clean as a whistle'. These days I generally change the pre-filter every 3rd oil change, ie at 15,000kms, & do the factory filter at 45,000kms. Delphi filters are cheap as chips.

However the main reason for running the pre-filters that I do, is in case of picking up a batch of bad fuel somewhere in the outback. It hasn't happened to me yet, but did to a friend who has the same pre-filter set up in his OKA that I have. He was 100 kms from where he got the bad fuel before his filter clogged enough to pull him up. He had several hundred kms to go before the next fuel, & got there by changing filters multiple times along the way. Because the Delphi filters are cheap he could afford to carry a reasonable stock of them, which got him through. Importantly too the filter elements are small & take up little room. Downside is they are a little more fiddly to replace than those that just screw on & off, but no big deal.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 13th February 2021 at 12:50 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Risky (15th February 2021)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a lift pump on the chev diesel and when I upgraded it from the conversion supplied unit to the correctly sized unit with good pressure capacity and flowrate, the n/a engine performance changed instantly. The response was better and the grunt also. I did buy and fit one of the bulb primers however it is now redundant as the lift pump does the prime when I change filters - and injectors and pump for that matter. I find the precharge of diesel at pressure to the IP essential to ensure the IP is not starving. By that I mean, at wide open throttle, the original pump was rated at 6PSI and unknown volume. I swapped to an Aeroflow at 16psi and 140GPH capacity - which I honestly doubt thru a 5/16" LINE - but for the discussion, find I idle at 12psi precharge to the IP and 10psi WOT, so the pump never starves. Also, the return flowrate is around 90% of pump flow back to the tank. This has a cooling and lubrication function I understand.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I run a lift pump on the chev diesel and when I upgraded it from the conversion supplied unit to the correctly sized unit with good pressure capacity and flowrate, the n/a engine performance changed instantly. The response was better and the grunt also. I did buy and fit one of the bulb primers however it is now redundant as the lift pump does the prime when I change filters - and injectors and pump for that matter. I find the precharge of diesel at pressure to the IP essential to ensure the IP is not starving. By that I mean, at wide open throttle, the original pump was rated at 6PSI and unknown volume. I swapped to an Aeroflow at 16psi and 140GPH capacity - which I honestly doubt thru a 5/16" LINE - but for the discussion, find I idle at 12psi precharge to the IP and 10psi WOT, so the pump never starves. Also, the return flowrate is around 90% of pump flow back to the tank. This has a cooling and lubrication function I understand.
    Chalk & cheese compared to the OP's vehicle PeeBee.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Chalk & cheese compared to the OP's vehicle PeeBee.
    Hi Cuppa, if you fit a lift pump your little hand primer is no longer needed as the lift pump primes everything. Works great. Although you are functioning fine without the lift pump it is reasonable that a positive supply of fuel to the back of the pump simply de-stresses the IP. It is reasonable that you might see some increase in power too, maybe splitting hairs but every bit helps, I reckon you would see a change on a dyno with a Lift pump on or off for sure.

Lift pumps are pretty cheap and simple to add to the system and i would 100% recommend the upgrade. If all it does is give you a prime, I will take that. If it prolongs the life of the IP I will take that too.

To be honest I don't see a down side.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 13th February 2021 at 03:17 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (14th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi Cuppa, if you fit a lift pump your little hand primer is no longer needed as the lift pump primes everything. Works great. Although you are functioning fine without the lift pump it is reasonable that a positive supply of fuel to the back of the pump simply de-stresses the IP. It is reasonable that you might see some increase in power too, maybe splitting hairs but every bit helps, I reckon you would see a change on a dyno with a Lift pump on or off for sure.

Lift pumps are pretty cheap and simple to add to the system and i would 100% recommend the upgrade. If all it does is give you a prime, I will take that. If it prolongs the life of the IP I will take that too.

To be honest I don't see a down side.

i hear you Darren. The only downside I can think of might be a reliability issue. If a lift pump failed I imagine it would become a restriction in the fuel line. Easy enough to bypass in those circumstances though I guess.

Maybe I'm an odd TD42 owner. I am quite happy with the power mine makes, it does everything I ask of it, & with good fuel consumption. Maybe I'll fit one if my bulb primer dies one day.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (14th February 2021), MudRunnerTD (13th February 2021), Rossco (13th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i hear you Darren. The only downside I can think of might be a reliability issue. If a lift pump failed I imagine it would become a restriction in the fuel line. Easy enough to bypass in those circumstances though I guess.

Maybe I'm an odd TD42 owner. I am quite happy with the power mine makes, it does everything I ask of it, & with good fuel consumption. Maybe I'll fit one if my bulb primer dies one day.
    Hahaha. Funny story, a couple of years ago we had a bash at @AB place at Patrology. Next morning @MB was a little worst for wear and asked Mrs Mudrunner to drive him the 4kms to his place to grab something in His GU... when Mrs Mudrunner got back she walked in and said "Thank you for the Turbo!" I looked at her and though WTF?? Then realised she had driven a Stock TD42T. Bhahahahaha I still Laugh.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th February 2021), MB (13th February 2021), Rossco (13th February 2021)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes I have a bypass setup on mine with a one way valve in it so if the pump stops fuel can still be drawn through the bypass.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (14th February 2021), PeeBee (14th February 2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast