Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Trans Cooler for Converter Lock-Up kit

Hi people,

just wanting to get some opinions or experiences on External Transmission Cooler System for an up-coming install of Converter Lock Up kit for my 4.8Lt GU patrol.

I have found out that there is a factory fitted, external transmission cooler on my rig and it has been suggested to me that I need a bigger unit for the towing of my caravan. The new bigger Trans Cooler unit costs around $700-ish fitted.

I will be getting the Lock-up kit and scan gauge interface unit fitted at the same time, plus a transmission service. All of this plus the new cooler unit comes to about $2700. Without the new bigger cooler I will save $700. I just replaced my radiator because of the recent over-heating scenario as stated below and that was !6 years from brand new.
    So, if there is a end-of-life-cycle period for parts in my vehicle then maybe 'a change is as good as a no-change'.

My question is; 1) Should I fit everything without the new Trans Cooler, and see if my factory cooler can do the same job as the $700 unit, or,

2) Should I just put the bigger unit in. (Which is not a bad thing, but is it a waste of money if the factory unit can do the job?, or,

3) If I go with 1) and find that the factory unit cannot do the job efficiently enough then I can go ahead and put the bigger unit in later. Nothing lost in this option but maybe time and or maybe price rise if its a bit further down the track.

Prior to this I have been towing my caravan as factory supplied with no converter lock-up unit and it has been towing very well without any over heating problems until just recently coming back from Coffin Bay and Pt Lincoln.

So, keen to hear your thoughts

thanks, Wattie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only real way to tell is to measure the trans temp, if it gets to hot, you have your answer
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it tows OK with the factory cooler and by "without any overheating" then save your $700.

When used appropriately the lock up kit will reduce the tranny temps even further as the Torque Converter will generate less heat
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree with you ET, thanks for your input.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wattie View Post
    Yes, I agree with you ET, thanks for your input.
    No worries...

FWIW I had manual lock up selector on a 4L85 auto (behind a 6.5 Chev) in a GU Ute and also on a Patrol RE4 auto (behind a TB42efi) in a GQ Wagon.

With the lock up available both boxes ran at pretty much the engine temp.
    The lock up on the RE4 made the biggest difference between "before and after" temps pretty much as expected as the 4L85 is rated to much higher specs
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd January 2021)