Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dawes and Needle valve

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine set at 15psi max. Its a lot more progressive power than before. A lot better at lower rpm and a lot more usable in traffic. EGT's have gone up slightly at lower RPM (i have a 3inch exhaust as well) .. but pretty similar to yours. Around 280 around town and about 470 at 110 with a strong headwind. Thumbs up all round :-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagwill View Post
    Bought a 2004 GU secondhand, installed some extra gauges, I was getting 7psi max boost and EGT were often over 500, sometimes over 600
    Fitted dawes valve myself, set it to 14psi and now, way more power and EGT sit around 300 cruising 400 working, and 500 with a thrashing, way better.
    I think the computer was no longer controlling the turbo as it should have, and was on its way to [grenade ], hence previous owner sold it.
    Yeah they work well when tuned right. I had my old ZD at 25psi max and 18psi cruise level and she flew. The ECU really does a shit job of controlling the boost levels.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long did she last at that pressure

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    How long did she last at that pressure
    Had it at this for two years, then the injector pump died and I wasn't prepared to spent 4-5k on a new pump, so out the ZD came... 25 psi is about the max the turbo can handle, bloody hell did it go though.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha i bet it did. One psi higher on mine was an amazing difference .. she would only get to 14 psi prior to the vlaves going in. Im fine with that as its a long term vehicle for me and the missus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to timbo2410 For This Useful Post:

MB (5th March 2021)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    Haha i bet it did. One psi higher on mine was an amazing difference .. she would only get to 14 psi prior to the vlaves going in. Im fine with that as its a long term vehicle for me and the missus
    Don't be scared off about high boost pressure. The myths of high boost pressure and the ZD "grenading" is false. From my many years of selling the Dawes and needle valve kits, installing them etc and seeing a stock motor running a boost gauge alone. its the poor ECU control, low boost and super high EGTs combined together I truely believe is the main contributor to the premature death of this zippy little donk.

Most ZD's however will chuck a wobbly when they hit 16psi and throw you into limp mode. Theres a few ways around this now, one is to run a resistor in one of the wires to the air flow meter, not sure of which one but a google search will reveal what and how to do. Then there is a ECU remap. Expensive and irreversible. But proven. Then theres what I did. Buy a HPD billet air flow meter housing. Prior to this, I could not go past 16psi. After installation, I could get boost of the 30psi gauge and still not get limp mode.

Also make sure your intercooler is 100% sealed, and ditch the shitty OEM scoop and buy a taller scoop to trap more air. Also a bigger exhaust helps a heap too. 3inch is the sweet spot. 2.75" for the CRd ZDs is another myth, just a selling hype made up from whoever it was those years ago to get people to buy their pipes.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    | also noted better fuel economy (i thought that around 10l per 100 was good), but now its around 8. Nothing else has been done (not even the service) between when the valves were installed and when I took note of economy. I kinda wish I had bought the auto .. it would be a lot easier crawling around the tracks and rocky sections .. it would also be easier in traffic. Had a 3.0 blow past me from a standing start .. it is what it is I suppose. I also dont like the clutch. Feels like a lot of backlash but the mechanics have said it's all good ..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to timbo2410 For This Useful Post:

mudski (12th March 2021)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get some more boost into it and you won't have that 3.0 blow past you again.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a Needle and Dawes valve on the ZD30 and adjusted boost to 18psi, all good. When I started adjusting the needle valve the boost dropped. Is this normal or have I installed something incorrectly? Also when adjusting the needle I am having trouble picking what is changing apart from the boost.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your max boost won't change, well it shouldn't unless you have the needle valve open too far. The needle valves purpose is to control how fast the boost will rise, the Dawes is just a boost limiter. If you open the needle valve wide open and go for a drive, you will see the boost rise very slowly and the car will feel sluggish. As you shut the air supply off from the needle valve, the boost will start to rise quicker. Then its just a matter of finding that sweet spot. its a set and forget setup too. So theres no need to run the needle valve in the cab like many do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12