Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternator cooked?

Gday fellas!
    So I’m 90% sure my alternator is cooked, just want a bit of advice/info
    It’s a 2006 4.2tdi wagon with the original hitachi alternator and just clicked over 300000ks the other day.

Crank battery is only a few months old and had it load tested. Still putting out 750cca.
    I’m just running the basic red arc dual battery isolator.
    The last couple of weeks I have been getting a flat crank battery.
    Iv checked the output at the alternator, at idle it’s 11.8 volts, wind it up to 1800rpm and it’s 12.8 volts.
    While driving, if I get up to roughly 2500rpm the battery voltage does increase to around 13volts (via ecu talk).
    I have checked all the connections, cleaned the earth points and tightened the belt.
    So I’m assuming the alternator is cooked.
    Any opinions on replacements? Nissan want $2300 for genuine so that’s out. Patrolapart are selling Jaclec 100amp for $350 or a 125amp for $400. At this point I am leaning towards the 125 amp from them unless you guys have a better option?
    Question, can I charge my crank battery while everything is still connected? It’s a century 6amp 9 stage charger.
    Cheers guys, Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    TJM BullBar and bar work, Light bar & spotlights, Airtech snorkel, tradie rack, blocked egr, 2inch lift on 33s and a 3 inch exhaust to go with it all.
    Plenty more to come!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our older 2001 TD42T one also died at approximately 350,000km too mate, replaced it with an OEM for around $500ish I thought? Are the 2006 TD42Ti really $2,300, I thought they’d be the same alternator?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Our older 2001 TD42T one also died at approximately 350,000km too mate, replaced it with an OEM for around $500ish I thought? Are the 2006 TD42Ti really $2,300, I thought they’d be the same alternator?

Yeah that’s what the bloke at Nissan in Bundoora quoted me over the phone. I nearly fell over when he said the price. I might try a different dealer and see what price they come up with. If it’s only $500 odd for the genuine il stick with that

2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    TJM BullBar and bar work, Light bar & spotlights, Airtech snorkel, tradie rack, blocked egr, 2inch lift on 33s and a 3 inch exhaust to go with it all.
    Plenty more to come!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dpetersen For This Useful Post:

MB (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may have been circa $550 but almost positive it was under $600 for the Hitachi OEM 80amp-ish which still more than suits our tourers old 80L Waeco & 26L Engel freezer so far. If we can get another 350,000km out of it I’ll be impressed and OEM rave on again if I’m still alive
    FWIW: Some reputable mechanical shop resellers of higher amperage aftermarket alternators took them out of their offerings some time ago known. Personally bought an Ebay GQ 180amp pimped up alternator to assist gnarlier winching and not convinced it aint going to cook itself again heat wise atop of the 6.5 Chev....(very similar to TD42 operating temps)
    PeeBee Mate has kindly put me onto an external rectifier pack to relieve the poor old pimped up internal diodes

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (11th January 2021), PeeBee (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    It may have been circa $550 but almost positive it was under $600 for the Hitachi OEM 80amp-ish which still more than suits our tourers old 80L Waeco & 26L Engel freezer so far. If we can get another 350,000km out of it I’ll be impressed and OEM rave on again if I’m still alive
    FWIW: Some reputable mechanical shop resellers of higher amperage aftermarket alternators took them out of their offerings some time ago known. Personally bought an Ebay GQ 180amp pimped up alternator to assist gnarlier winching and not convinced it aint going to cook itself again heat wise atop of the 6.5 Chev....(very similar to TD42 operating temps)
    PeeBee Mate has kindly put me onto an external rectifier pack to relieve the poor old pimped up internal diodes

Even at $600 that’s not too bad for a unit that personally has done 300000ks and is 15 years and basically requires bugger all maintenance. I’d be pretty stoked too if the new one lasts that long! I’d do a bit more research tonight/tomorrow.
    My set up is pretty similar to yours I’d say, not too much running off it.
    I was going to look into getting new brushes put into it but I might just bite the bullet and get a new one.

2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    Plenty more to come!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dpetersen For This Useful Post:

MB (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe take the alternator to an old fashioned auto sparky. It may not need much to sort it for another 300K.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (11th January 2021), MB (11th January 2021), PeeBee (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only honest concern these days Cuppa Mate is trying to find a decent “Old School” repairer armature sparky, almost non existent now?
    Bearings are a concern too for a further 300,000km, not sure if they’d handle it but maybe Hopefully Brother?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @dpetersen Could try calling this mob in Alice to see what they say? https://kcautoelectrics.com.au/services There are several other Auto Sparkies in town too, but if you are still out at Wartarrka I guess a changeover may be easier.

Charging your battery with 'everything' connected should be ok.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 12th January 2021 at 01:30 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (12th January 2021), MB (12th January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    @dpetersen Could try calling this mob in Alice to see what they say? https://kcautoelectrics.com.au/services There are several other Auto Sparkies in town too, but if you are still out at Wartarrka I guess a changeover may be easier.

Charging your battery with 'everything' connected should be ok.
    Thanks Cuppa, forgot to update my profile, I’m unfortunately back in Melbourne now for the time being.
    I was struggling to find a genuine Nissan one and being my daily iv settled on this one for now.

https://www.baxters.com.au/products/...rol-turbo.html

I was hoping for the 80amp job but they had none in stock. Fitted it today and all is well again.
    Il see if I can find someone in melb to rebuild the old one so iv got a spare.
    Cheers for the help fellas

2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    Plenty more to come!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dpetersen For This Useful Post:

MB (12th January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to be a tiny place just off Elizabeth St, Mebourne which re-wound alternators - no idea if they are still there.

Have seen a place in Ballarat which I think does similar.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (12th January 2021), MB (12th January 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast