Thread: Pressure can sealant

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pressure can sealant

So the wife's car has a slow leak, but fast enough to be pumped up every 2-3 days. It's got a nail not to far from the sidewall so don't really what to plug it and might be looking for new tyres within the next 12 months. Who's used those pressure cans sealants, which ones work?

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yes the slime works OK but i would 100% take the nail out and plug it mate. Or take it to a tyre joint and ask them to plug it. The Tyre place will install a Pull Through plug rather than the push through jobs that we have for emergencies. Dont leave the nail in there though.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

jay see (2nd January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use a can then take to tire shop they will hate it and probably refuse to fix it. More of an emergency fix their aimed at I spose. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rossco; 2nd January 2021 at 06:19 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

jay see (2nd January 2021), MudRunnerTD (2nd January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    If you use a can then take to tire shop they will hate it and probably refuse to fix it. More of an emergency fix their aimed at I spose. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I agree, it is hideous stuff. the Tyre shop will hate you.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

jay see (2nd January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My intention is to put the spare on till I get around to buying a new set of tyres for it. The one going flat will become the spare until the new ones come, then the original spare will become a spare again. So the can stuff will only be used as a spare, will that stuff affect anything when putting new tyres on..

12/97 GEE YOU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay see View Post
    My intention is to put the spare on till I get around to buying a new set of tyres for it. The one going flat will become the spare until the new ones come, then the original spare will become a spare again. So the can stuff will only be used as a spare, will that stuff affect anything when putting new tyres on..

Only that tyre. When the tyre shop goes to replace it they will hate you. It will end up all over their machine. It will.just ooze out. Terrible stuff. Juat plug it ans put the spare on. At least it will hold air. No point storing a flat spare.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

jay see (2nd January 2021), mudski (3rd January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    No point storing a flat spare.
    That's why I was looking at the can, but if it's going to cause that much trouble, yeah think I'll plug it.

Thanks gents

12/97 GEE YOU

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

Rossco (2nd January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use a plug in a sidewall. Everyone says you can't ... but you can. It got me from Eucla to Perth.

Pressure can sealant can work. I've used them but had to use 2x cans and lots of driving (to cure it) on a standard 14" car tyre.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

jay see (3rd January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollenface View Post
    You can use a plug in a sidewall. Everyone says you can't ... but you can. It got me from Eucla to Perth.

Pressure can sealant can work. I've used them but had to use 2x cans and lots of driving (to cure it) on a standard 14" car tyre.
    Yeah i sliced the side wall.on day 2 of my Madigan Line trip and had to put 2 plugs in it. It got me 8 days across the top of the Simpson in the toughest conditions. The side wall blew ans the tyre decintergrated half way between Big Red and Birdsville on the main road when I hit corrugations ans speed for the first time.

If you are going to use it only as a viable spare for a while I would have no hesitation plugging it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Rossco (3rd January 2021)