Thread: GQ front hub grease leak

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ front hub grease leak

afternoon everybody, new to the forum here. ✌��

just chasing my tail over this grease dribble i’ve got on the driver side coming from between the stub axle and dust cover. i have replaced the seal twice and both times it has been dry for a day or two and then goes back to what’s pictured here. it’s got me stuffed, i did the entire front end about 20k ago, the leak doesn’t smell/feel at all like diff oil & is very sticky like grease once cooled off. i’ve had 0 issues with the passenger side since i did the front end rebuild and i did it exactly the same as drivers.

the seal is seated all the way in the rotor and facing the correct direction, i think there’s a chance i’ve put too much grease in the bearing assembly but other than that i have no idea.

i also believe it looks runny from sitting on the highway at 100km/h + today for around an hour. any know-how or advice would be greatly appreciated! cheers ��
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sussgq; 31st December 2020 at 08:01 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sussgq For This Useful Post:

MB (1st January 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, i saw your post on FB. You said there that you packed the swivel hub solid with grease? Is that correct? The main body of the swivel hub is an Air Void mate and does not need to be packed with grease
    It is possible that as the grease gets warm it is pressurising the hub ans blowing out the scraper seals.

Initially I was going to say inner axle seal but the leak is from the wrong place for that.

Drop out a bolt from the lower King pin bearing, if oil doesn't leak out then you are looking at Grease and not a diff oil leak. In which case too much grease is your problem imo.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bidja (1st January 2021), MB (1st January 2021), mudnut (31st December 2020), PeeBee (31st December 2020), threedogs (20th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get a bit of the seepage and give it a sniff. If it pongs like diff oil, as MR posted then go deeper. My Patrols hubs have always seeped a bit, even with new seals, just par-for-the -course, but packing in too much grease is a common mistake.

Which grease did you use?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (1st January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only because I was nuffy rooting around installing an air locker a few weeks ago first time on an old GQ I believe it could possibly be your seal between the stub/spindle axle?As others have kindly suggested they are a relatively dry CV joint and the most common leakage symptoms are from a simple failing axle seal down and out through worn scrapers on the axle housing. It is strange how your leakage (grease or oil either way) appears to be coming from the opposite than usual side and should honestly demand a further wheel/hub/disc complete removal to assess its integral stub/spindle axle connection is ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sussgq View Post
    i also believe it looks runny from sitting on the highway at 100km/h + today for around an hour. any know-how or advice would be greatly appreciated! cheers ��
    Scratching my nuffy head again a little bit SussGQ Mate! There’s no chance you are running the old girl at 100kmph with your manual hubs locked in too Brother?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi mate, i saw your post on FB. You said there that you packed the swivel hub solid with grease? Is that correct? The main body of the swivel hub is an Air Void mate and does not need to be packed with grease
    It is possible that as the grease gets warm it is pressurising the hub ans blowing out the scraper seals.

Initially I was going to say inner axle seal but the leak is from the wrong place for that.

Drop out a bolt from the lower King pin bearing, if oil doesn't leak out then you are looking at Grease and not a diff oil leak. In which case too much grease is your problem imo.
    cheers for the reply mate, i didn’t pack the air void in the cv no, just leading to believe i’ve packed too much into the wheel bearing assembly.

i was following the manual, which stated to pack the gap between both bearing races once they’re in the hub, but apparently that doesn’t need to be done.

i’m going to pull apart and redo with just the bearings packed & a smear over the grease seal lips tomorrow and see how that treats me!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sussgq For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good SussGQ Mate!
    Please do keep us posted for the greater good Brother

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Get a bit of the seepage and give it a sniff. If it pongs like diff oil, as MR posted then go deeper. My Patrols hubs have always seeped a bit, even with new seals, just par-for-the -course, but packing in too much grease is a common mistake.

Which grease did you use?
    it’s definitely grease, doesn’t have that distinct rank smell of gear oil. it never did it before i replaced the seal which is why i’m pretty sure i e put too much grease in the wheel bearing assembly

i used Castrol HTB2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sussgq For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Sounds good SussGQ Mate!
    Please do keep us posted for the greater good Brother

will do mate! i did accidentally leave my hubs in a while ago for a few weeks of highway driving lol

it was already leaking grease beforehand but i assumed that would’ve ruined the seal, so i replaced it again about a week ago but still to no prevail.

it was chockas with grease both times though so i’m 90% sure that’s my issue

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sussgq For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update on this, apologies it took so long, wasn’t really on my phone over christmas/new year! so i’ve removed the kingpin bolts and every single one was bone dry. it doesn’t smell/feel at all like diff oil on the dust cover, so next is to pull the hub and rotor off again to repackage with lots less grease. cheers boys

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sussgq For This Useful Post:

MB (7th January 2021), mudnut (7th January 2021), MudRunnerTD (7th January 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast