Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2008 Patrol Diesel Pump not priming

It's a 2008 3.0 CRD

When starting the car, I turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to go out, then turn it all the way to crank. The engine turns over for a bit (4-5 seconds) and then it starts. It's a very lazy start, but it does start.

As opposed to what it should do - start right up - no excuses.

My assumption is that the diesel pump isn't priming prior to start, so it takes a few turns of the engine to get the fuel pump to build up enough pressure to ignite - but the fuel pump works, because once the car starts, it runs fine.

I am looking for pointers to what I should not miss, perhaps there is something obvious I am missing. Any info is greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
    - when I prime the fuel with the hand pump just above the fuel filter, it gets hard on the third/fourth squeeze. If I leave it then, and don't start the engine, it goes soft again. And then, if I start pumping again, it doesn't get hard anymore, no matter how much I pump.
    - I replaced all glow plugs, and tested voltage to the glow plug rail, which appears to be working fine. New glow plugs didn'tmake any difference.
    - I ordered the replacement fuel pressure relief valve and will post an update once that is changed. (That was it, see below. )
    - I have a injector leak back test scheduled for the weekend. - didn't end up doing this.

RESOLUTION: Fuel Pressure Relief Valve - replacing this $85 part resolved my long crank before start.
    Last edited by poddy; 6th December 2020 at 03:22 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to poddy For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (3rd January 2021)