Thread: Engine block or head temp?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Does anybody know what size hole is required to be drilled for a 1/8NPT tap?
    The 1/8NPT tap was luckily the only imperial tap in my kit but has no info on what size hole to drill.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Hi mate, you should be able to size by eye. Look through the thread at the drill bit. You want to see the bit is bigger that the shaft but smaller than the thread.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I went that bolt on dual sensor unit and think I will do top and bottom of engine?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a really interesting thread on FB asking TD owners what their Normal hwy water temp is. I have been following along just for interest and it seems anywhere from 75 to 95 is pretty normal. I will tag you in it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21/64 drillbit for 1/8npt. Thats 8.3mm. You'll get it with an 8.5mm
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,412 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    21/64 drillbit for 1/8npt. Thats 8.3mm. You'll get it with an 8.5mm
    Cheers mate that answers my question perfectly.
    Didn't get a chance to play with it tonight but I did upgrade my dual battery wiring and cable to the rear of the car. All 35mm now and very minimal voltage drop to the compressor/fridges/oven in the back now.
    The 10mm I used before was capable of what it was intended for at the time but things got a bit out of control and I should be future proofed for a while now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Ben-e-boy (15th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you have the coolant temp probe version I would try and use the second "bolt on" sensor for oil temp monitoring/alarm.

Thats what I had planned on mine but when I arseholed the 5 speed and put the 4L85 auto in the beasty I changed to coolant temp and auto tranny temp.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    If you have the coolant temp probe version I would try and use the second "bolt on" sensor for oil temp monitoring/alarm.

Thats what I had planned on mine but when I arseholed the 5 speed and put the 4L85 auto in the beasty I changed to coolant temp and auto tranny temp.
    I like the idea ET. Engine Guard recommend using a SS hose clamp to attach the bolt on lug to one of the oil filters to take oil temp. Doesn't sound very accurate?
    Any better ideas out there? I feel like knowing the oil temp could be very handy.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea ET. Engine Guard recommend using a SS hose clamp to attach the bolt on lug to one of the oil filters to take oil temp. Doesn't sound very accurate?
    Any better ideas out there? I feel like knowing the oil temp could be very handy.

Chris, it will be fine, its not like you need +/- 1 deg accuracy. I have used this in exactly that location for years. Its going to very close to a full contact probe, rest assured. If you are concerned with air stripping the heat away, stick a blob of insulating rubber insulation over the top of the probe head - I have some at home, will let you know what its called and can even cut you off a couple of inches and post it to you if you like. I use this stuff on the interchiller temp sensors as well.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th November 2020), Winnie (14th November 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Phil, I'm more than happy with +/-1 deg, and I trust your professional opinion. . I honestly thought losses through different materials there would render the reading completely irrelevant.
    Unless somebody comes up with a better idea for an accurate-ish reading for oil temperature, that is what I will do.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless somebody comes up with a better idea for an accurate-ish reading for oil temperature, that is what I will do.

I’m shocking, still running one of them cheapo (illegal) oil pressure gauges into the GU 6.5 cab via clear piping hose.
    Thinking about adding a ‘T’ piece with stop valve before the gauge so I can in cab finger drip test whilst driving whether it burns my pinkies or not
    Quite incredible though how oil pressure at cold idle on a 6.5 can drop from 10psi to 5psi after a tough workout, as dodgey as it sounds, and is, the old girls oil pressure gauge lets me know I’ve overdone it
    Temp gauges are betterer for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast