Thread: 2.8 TdiC 95kw problem in low revs

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.8 TdiC 95kw problem in low revs

After making a general on the engine nisan patrol 2.8 tdi (first special, new pistons, new head, new turbocharger and all possible grinding) I have a problem when I go uphill that the car barely starts at low revs. It only starts well when I give it gas to open the turbocharger. In addition, the bosch pump was in service. Can someone help me with what else might be a problem or is it generally a car lazy at low revs, but again I don’t believe it can pull itself uphill. Note I talk when the car is in 2H, and when it is in 4L then it goes but the sieve I think is still weak.
    And I just forgot to say that it's not just about the start, but when it starts, it's the same slow spin and especially in 2. gear
    Last edited by ante_sd; 8th November 2020 at 12:24 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2.8 develops low torque at low rpm, you need to get it up over the 3000rpm to get any performance out of it. I had the 2.8TD in a 1997 GQ and ended up doing an engine transplant as the motor was a good tourer at speed, but not so good in the bush. i also installed a transfer case reduction gearset and that transformed the car off road in low range.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How many miles have you put on the motor since the build?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine went 'well' until I put the family in it for the first time, then I noticed it needed to rev to get moving. From then on, as more junk got added it got slower. Not a fault of the engine, just a characteristic of a small motor in a big vehicle.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Mine went 'well' until I put the family in it for the first time, then I noticed it needed to rev to get moving. From then on, as more junk got added it got slower. Not a fault of the engine, just a characteristic of a small motor in a big vehicle.
    I honestly don't think its just the characteristics of the engine. I drove a 2.8 GU a few years back before buying the Patrol I have and yeah it was slow, but it had no issues taking up a hill like the op is saying. Has to be an issue elsewhere I reckon.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low range first gear to get up a hill at 5 ways at Wyndum on the bitumen, nope it was a gutless engine at low speed. From new it needed to be driven like a petrol motor, high revs. Drop below 3k and the turbo was off boost and it was 'slow ville' again. Had about 10,000k on the clock at that time
    Last edited by PeeBee; 9th November 2020 at 11:38 AM.