OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattling noise coming from the front wheel hubs.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rattling noise coming from the front wheel hubs.

Good Morning

I need some advice and help.

At the last major service of my GU patrol the dealership had to repack the front wheel hubs.
    Since then there has been an infrequent rattling noise in the wheel hubs.

The best way to describe the noise it is like when as a kid on your bike you used to put a footy card in the wheel spokes to make it sound like a bit of engine noise, only louder.

I have had it back to the dealership but they cannot find any problem, yet on occasion the noise persists.

As I say it is infrequent, heavy braking seems to trigger the noise and if I drive in reverse and hit the brakes it stops.

The front hubs are not engaged and are in the fully unlocked position, I have had the wheels off and there is no obvious problem to me.

So my question would be has anyone else encountered this problem, what caused it and how was it fixed?

Thank you all in advance, I hope you can help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, just my theory but reckon could be the backing plate. Check its not bent in and rubbing anywhere, also little stones tend to get caught and cause noises sometimes. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wondering about a sticky piston in the caliper and the pad or shims are vibrating. Seems to stop after reversing or heavy braking, check to see if something isn't caught up but you would think the dealer would find that if obvious.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Almcpher (10th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you determine which side is making the noise? Are your hubs Manual or Auto hubs?

If you can determine the side then lock the hubs, take them off, swap sides, and refit and unlock should take about 5 minutes to swap.

The noise you are describing is probably the Auto hub semi engaging. I have heard this before.

When you say the dealer repacked with grease what do you mean? Are you talking about a Swivel Hub rebuild or just the Auto Hub service? How much grease did they use i wonder.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudnut (7th November 2020), PeeBee (7th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Betcha Trumpies re-election chances to a 1/2 a can of flat Southwark they packed the FW hubs with too much grease and the hubs are semi engaging
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th November 2020)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my guess is they used gearbox oil in the transferr case instead ot atf which causes the axles to turn an try to engage the auto hubs . and / or they have packed to much grease into the auto hubs . pull the filler plugs out of the gearbox and the transferr box stick your finger in and see if the oil seems the same , the transferr box oil should be much thinner atf oil .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks will do

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure on any of those points.
    However when I taken it back they cannot find a problem and they say that what they did would not cause it.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think it could be the ABS sensor engaging?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You haven't said how old your Patrol is, but worn sway bar mount bushes and sway bar link bushes can cause this type of noise. Sometimes when you brake hard or brake in reverse the bar moves slightly and the noise either comes back or goes away. Have a close look at the mounting bushes and see if the bar is sitting in the centre (not touching the bracket). The link bushes may look OK until you remove them and find the inside of the bush is perished and the link rod is rattling against the support bracket.

One way to check is get a rubber mallet and give the bar a belt and listen for a rattle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast