Thread: GU 30L Water Bladder

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU 30L Water Bladder

Hi gents,

Does anyone have experience with these bladders?

https://fmestore.com.au/product/niss...water-bladder/

I'm not sure how the filling and cleaning works as well as figuring out how much water you have left but strongly considering getting one of these with a water tank gauge like this one

https://fmestore.com.au/product/topa...t-caravan-4x4/

Cheers
    2009 GU

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one from the bargain bin at patrolapart hoping to use it in the GQ but didn't fit, too narrow compared to the GU. Gave it to dad and think he is happy with it, does the job and water tastes ok I'm pretty sure.

I got one of those cheapish red ones that goes in the footwell and was terrrrible, water was totally undrinkable and the thing poped the filler off in the middle of nowhere ove day so don't rate those one bit lol. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's definitely what I want to avoid! Couldn't imagine losing water while doing the simpson
    2009 GU

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU 30L Water Bladder

Personally a big fan of HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) Blokes
    20L McJerries yet safe as houses hot unleaching anywhere smartly packed around your twucks :-)
    BTW: You can take them down to a creek too, so much betterer than wrestling a stinky soggy wobbly bladder too maybe

EDIT: Apologies McFlurry Mate, “Safety Advice” (Do NOT drink Purnie Bore :-( )
    Have Fun, Stay Safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 5th November 2020 at 12:25 AM.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 764 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a custom made bladder by Fleximake, around 50 litres, it works pretty well. Nothing but good things to say about Fleximake, had some cuts in the bladder after 12 months and they sent out a free repair kit. Really helpful mob.
    Yep the water can taste crap, but a simple bit of plain old vinegar fixes the problem, very easy to fix and very common problem with stored water.
    I'd be wary of storing a bladder in a confined spot like the rear quarter however, I can see the bladder being jerked around and getting punctured.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three main things contribute to the growth of 'nasties' in stored water making it smell & taste bad. Light, heat & oxygen. (Assuming the tank has been made of appropriate materials which don't 'flavour the water). So best to have the water storage tank/container made of a material which blocks light and/or is hidden from light (eg. covered, under the vehicle etc). We have found it best to store tanks full when not in use. Filling the tank as much as possible keeps oxygen out. Hard to do much about the temperature, but if the other two issues are dealt with it probably wont be an issue if you store water which has been treated. ie, town water which has been chlorinated, or tank water with a bit of chlorine added.

We have used water which has been stored in our vehicle/camper tanks for a year or more on occasions without any taste or smell, & have not become sick.

We also carry a small amount of chlorine with us to use on any 'suspect' water, but rarely need it. We hate the taste of chlorinated water having lived on tank water for decades, but a carbon filter removes all taste of chlorine we add.

We also avoid using garden hoses - they can make water taste awful. Use hoses designated as drinking water hose to avoid that problem.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)