Thread: Battery issue

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery issue

For about a week, I could smell 'rotten egg gas' from under the bonnet, and could only smell it during the afternoon heat. - no smell at all in the morning.

Initially I thought it was the coolant, as I had to put a fair bit in.

I took the battery out and the smell went away.

Battery is my 2nd battery (not cranker) and was recently purchased brand new and was only installed about 2 weeks before it started smelling.

My ute's been sitting idol for a while and the battery's hooked up to my 2 x 120w solar panels on the roof.

In the viewing window on the top of the battery it's gone from a green colour to silver. Looking at the index, it says I should get the battery checked.

Any ideas on the problem?

TIA.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Battery gassing is usually due to overcharging.

I would check the Solar Reg and Battery Volts on the cranker.
    If the voltage is constantly above about 14.2 out of the Reg or the Cranker is stuffed then that is the problem.

That would explain why it is worst in the arvo IE after a day of full sun and max panel output.

Also if you are doing two or more batteries off 1 Reg sometimes a failed battery will trick the Reg to stay at full charging rate and not switch to float charge which will stuff the good battery
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (3rd November 2020), DX grunt (3rd November 2020), Yeti's Beast (3rd November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Battery gassing is usually due to overcharging.

I would check the Solar Reg and Battery Volts on the cranker.
    If the voltage is constantly above about 14.2 out of the Reg or the Cranker is stuffed then that is the problem.

That would explain why it is worst in the arvo IE after a day of full sun and max panel output.

Also if you are doing two or more batteries off 1 Reg sometimes a failed battery will trick the Reg to stay at full charging rate and not switch to float charge which will stuff the good battery
    @the evil twin

Thought that was the case but just wanted confirmation. LOL, PML, ROFL.

Spoken from a bloke who rarely goes off the bitumen and never goes truly 'off road'.

How's Chewy?
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hiya Cobber,

Chewy has just turned 10 and almost 50 Kg which is heavy for German Shepherd but he was always a big fella esp his teeth.

His greatest love is still scaring the bejesus out of anyone who comes to the door.
    Halloween is always spectacular altho it does take a while to hose the poo off the drive and some of the Trick or Treaters are probably mentally scarred for life.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (6th November 2020), MB (4th November 2020)