Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear Diff issues

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure did .. engine idle .. running for several minutes ... maybe i need to creep forward for it to engage .. ?? just didnt want to do it on a hard surface .. might try when down the beach next

2. The Following User Says Thank You to timbo2410 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (16th October 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    sure did .. engine idle .. running for several minutes ... maybe i need to creep forward for it to engage .. ?? just didnt want to do it on a hard surface .. might try when down the beach next
    Engaging the diff lock on a hard surface ia fine for testing mate. Running up and down the road will not harm it in any way.... Just Don't Turn.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (30th October 2020), Rossco (17th October 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    As mudrunner said, test engaging in your drive way is ok while wheels are straight, but you need to move a bit for everything to line up and engage. Until it engages, the difflock dash light will flash and become solid once its engaged.
    Same is true when unlocking. You will more than likely need to be moving and off the throttle, and the dash light wont go out until it has fully disengaged.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    metal in the diff oil is not that big a deal to be honest if it is just minor filings. Normal wear and tear given the diff oil is likely 100,000kms old or whatever. The filings are likely from the Crown Wheel and Pinion nad and elocker will not swap that problem out. f you ahve never used the factory diff lock then there is little point spending 2K fitting a Elocker to Not use that either.

If the pinion gerar is not droning then forget about it. f you are really concerned you could have the 3rd member (the diff) dropped out and inspected and giving a clear health. At that point you might put in a new crown whel or pinion if needed but then put it back together and drive on mate.

If you really want to spend 2K i can help you spend it wisely. Fridge, Slider, Drawers, Roof rack, Winch, Suspension, Not an E Locker. (for you).....

I am a big fan of lockers but you are not using the one you have.. I blew up my rear diff last year and had it rebuilt with New gears and Bearings. the only thing they kept was the housing. it cost me $1650 and i fitted it myself. I had the LSD retained and rebuilt. The Patrol rear LSD is a Beast mate. I run an ARB AirLocker in the front and rear LSD only. Great setup.
    Agree 100% with Muddy. I drained the oil from my old GQ diffs and there was a 5+mm mountain of fillings on the drain plugs. I flogged that car and the diffs never failed

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only way I could tell whether my e-locker (front) was engaged when I first got it was to try turning (in a grass paddock ). Steering was heavier. No sound that I could hear. Just the switch illuminated. No idea about the factory locker on the rear, but surely someone here must know if the blinking light is the correct indicator (or if the light should be 'solid') ....... or are factory lockers a rarity?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12