Thread: Rear Diff issues

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Diff issues

Hi all, well I've never actually never used the rear diff lock as we do most of our driving on beach .. during the car service the other day the mechanic said there were a number of metal filings in the diff when he changed the oil. He tested the diff and it worked with no noise .. but it got me thinking if there are deeper issues. Worse case is to replace it (after closer inspection of course). Now my question is .. if I went for an elocker .. can it use the original switch and warning light? Just swap one for the other? Does that make sense?
    2013 Y61 3.0l

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    metal in the diff oil is not that big a deal to be honest if it is just minor filings. Normal wear and tear given the diff oil is likely 100,000kms old or whatever. The filings are likely from the Crown Wheel and Pinion nad and elocker will not swap that problem out. f you ahve never used the factory diff lock then there is little point spending 2K fitting a Elocker to Not use that either.

If the pinion gerar is not droning then forget about it. f you are really concerned you could have the 3rd member (the diff) dropped out and inspected and giving a clear health. At that point you might put in a new crown whel or pinion if needed but then put it back together and drive on mate.

If you really want to spend 2K i can help you spend it wisely. Fridge, Slider, Drawers, Roof rack, Winch, Suspension, Not an E Locker. (for you).....

I am a big fan of lockers but you are not using the one you have.. I blew up my rear diff last year and had it rebuilt with New gears and Bearings. the only thing they kept was the housing. it cost me $1650 and i fitted it myself. I had the LSD retained and rebuilt. The Patrol rear LSD is a Beast mate. I run an ARB AirLocker in the front and rear LSD only. Great setup.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (30th October 2020)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be honest when we did the Lennard trail here in the SW, I found that in low range we got hardly any loss of traction at all, even with a wheel in the air .. but that is the exception as we just do beach driving now. I was more concerned about something catastrophic happening ..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    to be honest when we did the Lennard trail here in the SW, I found that in low range we got hardly any loss of traction at all, even with a wheel in the air .. but that is the exception as we just do beach driving now. I was more concerned about something catastrophic happening ..
    yeah with that kind of driving if i was going to invest in a locker t would be for the front. When you really need a locker the Front one is a game changer. I assume this was found during a major service and the Diff Oil was being replaced? How old was the oil? how many kms?

As i said a decent mechanic with a hoist will pull a rear diff 3rd member out to inspect in about 30 minutes, Front is a much bigger deal. If you are really worried you could have it inspected, Did you see the shavings? did you get a pic by chance? Dd they say that the bung had shavings on it (Its Magnetic and that is the idea) or was there heavy shavings throughout the oil?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no didnt think to ask for a pic .. they didnt say if it was on the magnet but they did say it was in the bottom of the diff .. .. shes done 78000 km's and yes it was the major service so all fluids were done .. we bought the car at 55000 km's ...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I 100% agree with MR. If you are getting no symptoms of diff issues whilst driving, it's working as it should, you never use a diff lock anyway & the oil has been changed, all sounds OK. For peace of mind though talk to the mechanic & see if they agree.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (30th October 2020), MudRunnerTD (16th October 2020)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How quickly should the diff lock actuate? Is it supposed to activate instantly when stationary?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    How quickly should the diff lock actuate? Is it supposed to activate instantly when stationary?
    I dont actually know about the factory lockers sorry, an ARB Air Locker is switched via an air solenoid and you will hear it clunk when stationary. I think the factory ones may be Vacuum actuated actually.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well for curiosities sake i got the misses to switch it on while stationary so I could listen to hear of any noises .. nothing ... light is blinking and that is about all it does .. didnt move the car at all as I'm in the driveway on a hard surface ..

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The factory locker is vacuum operated. Did you have the motor running when actuating?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast