Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Nav

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sat Nav

I just wondered if we had a Sat Nav Guru on the forum?
    I am thinking of getting a Garmin road unit and buying the Ozi Explorer for $200. Is this a good option as i can get the lot for around $350 but i am not sure how good these maps are or if you get voice guidance etc.
    Alternatively, TJM has a Megelan for about $360 at the moment. All the others (VMS etc) are a small fortune.
    I want a unit to use in 2 cars not built in.
    Does anybody know the pros and cons?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Garmin for car & boat use (its able to map itself which is great for off road) & it also as a Free download software called base camp for your PC or LapTop that allows you to download from your unit & keep a record of maps & fuel economy Trip reports the list goes on you can downlead trip pics & plasce them in your maps as places of interest.... To much to mention really but it a brilliant piece of software on its own.

The handset...well ... It does so much I haven't played with every aspect of it yet but I love it & the online support with free software & firmware updates & upgrades is simply outstanding IMP.

You only ever play for one map upgrade & the rest is free for the life of the unit (which I was happy to pay) & thats about it.

I can't say which is best.... But I can say I've had a great trouble free run out of my Garmin & have found it to be more accurate then other brands when used side by side.

Hope this Helps.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    I have a Garmin for car & boat use (its able to map itself which is great for off road) & it also as a Free download software called base camp for your PC or LapTop that allows you to download from your unit & keep a record of maps & fuel economy Trip reports the list goes on you can downlead trip pics & plasce them in your maps as places of interest.... To much to mention really but it a brilliant piece of software on its own.

The handset...well ... It does so much I haven't played with every aspect of it yet but I love it & the online support with free software & firmware updates & upgrades is simply outstanding IMP.

You only ever play for one map upgrade & the rest is free for the life of the unit (which I was happy to pay) & thats about it.

I can't say which is best.... But I can say I've had a great trouble free run out of my Garmin & have found it to be more accurate then other brands when used side by side.

Hope this Helps.
    It certainly does. I have an old Garmin Nuvi which has been great but doesn't have the features of the newer models
    Thanks for the info
    BTW which model is it that you have? i can have a look online to see the features.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpeacock36 View Post
    It certainly does. I have an old Garmin Nuvi which has been great but doesn't have the features of the newer models
    Thanks for the info
    BTW which model is it that you have? i can have a look online to see the features.
    Sorry mate I can't remember off hand & me Brother's got it at the mo but I'll call him later & grab it for ya.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    Sorry mate I can't remember off hand & me Brother's got it at the mo but I'll call him later & grab it for ya.
    Cheers mate

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could get pages of replies and what is perfect for one person is not for someone else.

Do you only want vector mapping (voice guidance and 'one' fixed map IE Navman style ) or do you want raster mapping (oziExplorer, TrackRanger where you put in your own maps and they are essentially a visual display of where you are) or both

If you are comfy downloading stuff from the Internet then by far the best option is to purchase any of the Hi-def 7 Inch displays on Ebay that run on SD card. You then load both a Vector Mapping proggy like Igo8 and a raster mapping proggy like OziExplorer CE.

The map updates for Igo8 style software comes out heaps more often than Garmin, Magellan etc and is up to 12 months in front BUT as I said you need to be comfy grabbing stuff off the Net. Over the last 12 months Igo8 is easily the best of the majors (Navman, Tomtom, Route66 etc) in updating their Aussie products

OziExplorerCE is most simply looked at as a viewer ergo the maps are as current as what you feed into it. Topo's for example can be up to 40 years old in some areas of Aus. Ozi CE is only $40 and that is all you need unless you want to manipulate data, make your own maps or do route planning etc on your PC then you need the full OziExplorer as well.

I do mapping for work and play and its scary what I have on board at times. I have been known to be running 4 seperate systems and teh NavStar satellites brown out when they orbit over my truck... hehehehe
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    You could get pages of replies and what is perfect for one person is not for someone else.

Do you only want vector mapping (voice guidance and 'one' fixed map IE Navman style ) or do you want raster mapping (oziExplorer, TrackRanger where you put in your own maps and they are essentially a visual display of where you are) or both

If you are comfy downloading stuff from the Internet then by far the best option is to purchase any of the Hi-def 7 Inch displays on Ebay that run on SD card. You then load both a Vector Mapping proggy like Igo8 and a raster mapping proggy like OziExplorer CE.

The map updates for Igo8 style software comes out heaps more often than Garmin, Magellan etc and is up to 12 months in front BUT as I said you need to be comfy grabbing stuff off the Net. Over the last 12 months Igo8 is easily the best of the majors (Navman, Tomtom, Route66 etc) in updating their Aussie products

OziExplorerCE is most simply looked at as a viewer ergo the maps are as current as what you feed into it. Topo's for example can be up to 40 years old in some areas of Aus. Ozi CE is only $40 and that is all you need unless you want to manipulate data, make your own maps or do route planning etc on your PC then you need the full OziExplorer as well.

I do mapping for work and play and its scary what I have on board at times. I have been known to be running 4 seperate systems and teh NavStar satellites brown out when they orbit over my truck... hehehehe
    I was thinking of something that will show up and guide most of the local tracks and be able to plot things before travelling on the computer and copy to the nav. They are a bit of a mystery to me. as i said they seem to vary so much in price.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply by the way. it seems we do have a sat nav guru

flora5507
    There some suggest maybe help you how to choose the unit of your car ,and have to picture how to install the nav .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flora5507 View Post
    There some suggest maybe help you how to choose the unit of your car ,and have to picture how to install the nav .
    Ended up getting a VMS. very easy installation, lick the back and stick to windscreen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast