OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch slipping after trip at glasshouse, new HD NPC clutch.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Yeah they will never seal water out (being submerged anyway) the way they are from factory. Good idea to silcone the fork boot both ends (bell housing & where the fork goes) and also silicone in the bung on the bottom of the bellhousing. If you remember it's good measure to pull out bung every service or so to check rear main isn't leaking and no water has got in.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Yeah mines all sealed up with a breather hose in the bell housing. My GU doesn’t have a drain hole too. I think only the GQs had them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (13th October 2020), Rossco (11th October 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Is the water and mud able to drain out?

Yeah it was coming out a few spots. After it sat for the afterrnoon i took it for a drive just before and it was slipping again at high torque so I washed it out again and had mum pumping the clutch pedal. Now shes driving good again but sounds horrendous just making an awful scretching sound haha. It looks like the drivetrains leaking too and spitting shit everywhere is that possibly related or surely it's to do with the clutch after washing water through there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IF, everything is bolts up right and tight. You should not see anything leak out. The only entrance point on the bell housing for mud and water to get in is via the clutch fork boot.
    The earlier Patrols had a drain plug in the bell housing, mine, a 2001, doesn't. So yours shouldn't too. Great idea in my opinion to have a drain plug. My suggestion to you is to continue washing out the clutch area until you only see clear water coming out. Then seal up the housing area properly.
    I know mud is fun but its costly. My last bog hole adventure cost around 2K. Killed the clutch, a/c pump, alternator, destroyed brand new brakepads and rotors. I just drive around big bogholes now.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (11th October 2020), MudRunnerTD (13th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% Agree with Mudski Mate!
    Bog holes wherever possible (not always) will personally take the Chicken Less Old Fart Hero Track :-)
    Forward/Reverse...Up/Down gear changes will surely let that crud in between our clutch plate and fly wheel on ageing vehicles boots.
    Reminds me of a shiithouse 350 Chev <> FJ45 Landcrab adaptor plate had many years ago that had a forward facing starter motor extended hole, one gear change later deep and all drive was over, tow to the nearest farmers hose and away again...repeat :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

mudski (11th October 2020)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    IF, everything is bolts up right and tight. You should not see anything leak out. The only entrance point on the bell housing for mud and water to get in is via the clutch fork boot.
    The earlier Patrols had a drain plug in the bell housing, mine, a 2001, doesn't. So yours shouldn't too. Great idea in my opinion to have a drain plug. My suggestion to you is to continue washing out the clutch area until you only see clear water coming out. Then seal up the housing area properly.
    I know mud is fun but its costly. My last bog hole adventure cost around 2K. Killed the clutch, a/c pump, alternator, destroyed brand new brakepads and rotors. I just drive around big bogholes now.
    There looked to be a little breather hole it was spraying out I couldn't really see where else because after I jammed it in there I got as far away as I could and just held the pressure of the hose up there haha. Feels bad just spent 25k on getting the thing converted and freshened up. The intention was not to go in the bog hole but i slipped in and stupidly commited. Yeah brakes seem to be pretty cooked now too and they're brand new also. I'll defiantly be steering clear from now on but shouldn't have done it in the first place guess I'll be paying for all the damage I've done with the next few paychecks!
    Last edited by Jdugg27; 11th October 2020 at 08:59 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdugg27 For This Useful Post:

MB (11th October 2020), mudski (11th October 2020)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I go wash it a third time, should I be spraying some sort of lubricant or oil up into the boot? The sounds its making is horrible and you can hear it a mile away, I can only assume it's the clutch but have a funny feeling it might have something to do with the drivetrain because you can see where it's spat everything and the noise sounds very revolving like wheels or something even.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdugg27 View Post
    If I go wash it a third time, should I be spraying some sort of lubricant or oil up into the boot? The sounds its making is horrible and you can hear it a mile away, I can only assume it's the clutch but have a funny feeling it might have something to do with the drivetrain because you can see where it's spat everything and the noise sounds very revolving like wheels or something even.
    Definitely do NOT spray any lubricant in there. You will most likely destroy the clutch. The sound you are hearing is the clutch thrust bearing which is probably as dry as a witches tit, and screaming its head off and will surely see a premature death. Ideally, drop the box and clean it out properly. and put a new thrust bearing and carrier in. Or just drive it and hope it well sort itself.

Lessen learned here. Make sure the bell housing is all sealed up, and drive around bog holes. Good luck.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Jdugg27 (11th October 2020), PeeBee (11th October 2020), Rossco (12th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me again...Dickhead MB Days :-)
    Saved up 50/50 deal with my Old Man to work weekends for neighbours cash and home chores to purchase an old 1970’s Honda XR75 dirt bike
    12 months we made the sweet $360 combined target yet drum brakes were a bit squeaky for my nuffy likings on first ride!
    Had seen Dad put oil in his Valiant engine before so decided to pull my new bikes wheels off and fill the drums full of oil and reassembled :-)
    Did not end well, should explain most of my posts here :-)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

mudski (12th October 2020), Rossco (12th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bet the brakes stopped squeaking at least . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MB (12th October 2020)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This the small gap in the boot I was talking about
    121441626_347694613314233_3349768725514133254_n.jpg

This is the small hole where the water was spraying out of when I was hosing into the boot. Also not sure why the bolts were put on before the gasket? This is the bottom of the bellhousing is that an issue?
    121006707_380397246476379_1151576955598617206_n.jpg

I'm no mechanic and have no idea what the next two parts are, it's pretty much the tail shaft or where the driveline connects up to the back of the transmission. But you can see it's been leaking/spitting shit everywhere is this an issue and possibly related to the revolving squealing sound I have? It stopped all day but as I was driving home before start screeching again and as I go faster the revolving sound does also, it's at it's worst when I'm in second using the engine brake it really sounds horrendous.
    121034194_675713806681155_454453006523251251_n.jpg
    120926697_368872854299151_6542950126989513417_n.jpg
    Or is that horrible sound just likely the clutch throwout bearing or whatever it is?
    Last edited by Jdugg27; 12th October 2020 at 06:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast