OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch slipping after trip at glasshouse, new HD NPC clutch.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clutch slipping after trip at glasshouse, new HD NPC clutch.

Hey guys just got my patrol back this week it was converted from a 3L to a TD42 Factory T Blacktop (2001 GU Manual) with a few goodies. One of those goodies is the HD NPC Clutch.
    Today I was out at Glass House Mountains having a play, It wasn't my intention but I ended up slipping into a bog hole and I believe the box would have been mostly submerged for a good few minutes. After getting pulled out, I continued 4x4ing (away from bogholes) for probably 3 hours having a blast with no issues at all. It wasn't until going back to 2wd and jumping back onto the roads that I realized what feels to be the clutch slipping. It doesn't really slip in 1st but if you give it a bootfull in any other gear it just starts slipping, it catches back on pretty fast but obviously it's not right. The pedal is also feeling sticky now, it wasn't feeling sticky while I was out Just wanted to hear peoples thoughts and possibilities. Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stick a hose under the clutch fork boot and wash the clutch out. The sticky feeling is the thrust bearing carrier sticking on the nose cone of the gearbox due to the mud in there.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Stick a hose under the clutch fork boot and wash the clutch out. The sticky feeling is the thrust bearing carrier sticking on the nose cone of the gearbox due to the mud in there.
    Im assuming the clutch fork boot is going to be located somewhere near the bellhousing? I'll have a look in the morning mate thanks, should I pull the boot off or just try and wash it out as best as I can as it is

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LHS mate where the clutch slave cylinder is. Im guessing this is where the mud got in too. Before you wash it out make sure there is a drain plug at the bottom to let all the crud out. If not. You might have to make one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Rossco (11th October 2020)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LHS mate where the clutch slave cylinder is. Im guessing this is where the mud got in too. Before you wash it out make sure there is a drain plug at the bottom to let all the crud out. If not. You might have to make one.
    I will have a look in the morning and update you with how I go

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate just had a look and you're right it is full of mud. I can see gaps in the middle of the boot its almost like it's too big and it squishes in either side in the middle. I just pulled it out a bit and pulled a few chunks of sloppy mud out.
    Would it be safe to just put the hose into the boot and have it all come running out the other side where the gap is ? or i could just leave it hanging out and put the hose up in there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdugg27 View Post
    Hey mate just had a look and you're right it is full of mud. I can see gaps in the middle of the boot its almost like it's too big and it squishes in either side in the middle. I just pulled it out a bit and pulled a few chunks of sloppy mud out.
    Would it be safe to just put the hose into the boot and have it all come running out the other side where the gap is ? or i could just leave it hanging out and put the hose up in there
    Wheres the gap on the other side you mention? The only hole in the bell housing should only be where the clutch fork is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=mudski;810499]Wheres the gap on the other side you mention? The only hole in the bell housing should only be where the clutch fork is.

The gap is on the clutch fork boot, the rubber has a gap in the middle which allowed mud in. After washing it out i didnt have drive for a few minutes let is sit and went again and now shes going mint

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is the water and mud able to drain out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mudski; 11th October 2020 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah they will never seal water out (being submerged anyway) the way they are from factory. Good idea to silcone the fork boot both ends (bell housing & where the fork goes) and also silicone in the bung on the bottom of the bellhousing. If you remember it's good measure to pull out bung every service or so to check rear main isn't leaking and no water has got in.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast