Thread: Wailing bonnet struts

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wailing bonnet struts

I was going to say 'squeaky' bonnet struts, but 'wailing is closer to the mark!

They have been doing it a long time, I put it down to all the dust we've been through, although cleaning them had made no difference. Squirting a bit of WD40 on them helped - for around 10 seconds.

The struts had become a bit lazy - still held up the bonnet, but needed a bit of help for the last 10%.

So today I fitted brand new struts & they still bl**dy wail! And I know not why!

Again WD 40 has silenced them, but I am not confident it will last & it will only collect more dust in the long run.

The struts are bolted on nice & tight. If I hold a strut as the bonnet is being lowered or raised I can feel the vibration of the strut in time with the noise. Both sides.

Why is it so?
    Last edited by Cuppa; 7th October 2020 at 05:02 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the struts aligned, ie, have no side loading - could be hard to tell, and even though they may be fitted with the ball joint ends, its possible the strut is loading up on the piston inside the tube. The tolerances are so fine it won't take much - maybe your mounts have deformed over time as well? The CRC would help for a short period as it will reduce the friction.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (7th October 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that my hinges were the culprit when it started to make noises.......
    pressure clean, and some graphite, worked well for about 2 weeks

the the struts went........... open the bonnet, lift it up, and down she comes
    replaced the struts
    all good now
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (10th October 2020)