OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone run a reverse osmosis water purifyier.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does anyone run a reverse osmosis water purifyier.

G'day, all.

I am toying with the idea of buying a water purification system suitable for long term camping to reduce the amount of water needed to be carried.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (7th October 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baby wipes flat packed for Desert showers Craigstar Mate!
    Alternatively bust a Patrol spring or two and or :-(

https://youtu.be/4U_xmfSwYSw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

mudnut (7th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looked into one for our remote trips but the price put me off , proper reverse osmosis setup was north of three grand last I checked but they were good and used bugger all power .

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

MB (7th October 2020), mudnut (7th October 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To get as much weight off the Old Trols woeful towball weight, being able to drop a hose into a bucket full of creek or sea water would be a good investment. Also being able to camp until the food runs out is appealing.

I've seen some simple household systems the would require a good quality pump to make it portable.
    Last edited by mudnut; 7th October 2020 at 09:04 PM.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tip12345 For This Useful Post:

Touses (8th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Also being able to camp until the food runs out is appealing.
    How much water can you carry at present? We find, even in remote areas, that water is not our limiting factor. Generally we have always been able to top up our water tanks even in the middle of the western deserts. We do carry a spare water pump which in theory allows us to suck water into our tanks from a river or lake. We carry a small supply of liquid chlorine to add to it in such situations, but in the past 3 years have never needed to put water into our tanks in this way. We have used chlorine on a few occasions though, & our filter removed all taste of it. It is food supplies which limit us. Around 4 weeks is the norm, but we have managed 6 weeks on one occasion. Fresh fruit & veg is the biggest issue, but there are ways to make stuff last longer even when on the road full time without the luxury of being able to dehydrate & vacuum seal like we can when at home. Another thing on water - between the Patrol tank & Tvan tank we can carry up to about 220 litres BUT rarely need to. My suggestion is before considering how to increase water supplies, look at how to conserve it. Eg. We could choose to have hot showers daily, but we have only ever used our ability to shower a handful of times. We operate in ‘water conservation mode’ 99% of the time, and use a 2 litre ice cream tub with an inch or two of water in it, plus a flannel, to wash with. As MR said - wet wipes are good too. Lots of ways to make water go further.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 8th October 2020 at 10:04 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used to love watching the bush tucker man.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The towball weight is only 100kg (direct from Nissan Patrol Australia) but all of the vans I have looked at are already around that, unloaded.

I intend to strip the back seats out of vehicle, and thought of installing a water bladders behind the drivers seat.
    Last edited by mudnut; 8th October 2020 at 10:20 AM.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a water bladder on the floor behind the drivers seat, holds about 50 litres. I can carry about 100 litres of water. As Cuppa said, it seems to be food that runs out first with us.

I can wash top to toe in about 1 litre of water and if you wash like that every second day, you save some, if you wash every 3rd day you save even more etc etc. I reckon we've come close to running out of food more times than running out of water, just some real world info.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

mudnut (8th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    The towball weight is only 100kg (direct from Nissan Patrol Australia) but all of the vans I have looked at are already around that, unloaded.

I intend to strip the back seats out of vehicle, and thought of installing a water bladders behind the drivers seat.
    One of the advantages to running an older MK 2 Tvan (as we do) is that it lacks a large box on the drawbar like later ones & helps to keep towball weight down (I've heard of some later ones running a 250kg towball weight when loaded!). Even so we are still just over 100kg towball weight, & that is with two 20 litre jerries of diesel, plus a porta potti behind the axle to help. (Loaded weight of Tvan is around 1200kg -1300kg). Having the axle as far back as it is, with little rear overhang enables 'towball weight reduction' to be done safely. Needs far more care with most campers which have a longer overhang, but shifting weight to just above or behind the axle if possible will help, but don't be tempted to shift it up the back.

Depending upon where you are intending to go - two smaller water tanks are better than one big one. If one leaks, you still have water.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 8th October 2020 at 03:00 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudnut (8th October 2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast