OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Canvas fold out campers and pop-tops, how do they go in the wind?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canvas fold out campers and pop-tops, how do they go in the wind?

Hi

Friends have purchased an old pop-top camper called a Jaco Finch. Its the size of a trailer with canvas sides but solid roof. I think its great but they said it does not handle a reasonable breeze and they close it up concerned the canvas might tear. Never used it myself but have been looking for something similar cheap that needs some work. I like the idea of the trailer sized vehicle but still having some build in cupboards kitchen etc and being off the ground.
    Most of the coast in SA however is pretty windy and wondered if the fold out tents, which sit lower, might be better.
    Does anyone have experience with either or both to comment?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a forward fold camper hard floor camper and had a side fold soft floor before that. Never had any fear of the canvas ripping in the wind. The only real issue is if you park it right in full force of the wind is the flapping and shaking when you're trying to sleep. It's all about set up location..
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on how many people you want to accommodate a Jayco Penguin might suit. Similar wind up camper, but without the fold out ends. This makes it far quicker to put up, & less canvas to flap around. Has the benefit over those that fold out at the ends in that you can just stop for a cuppa or whatever without having to muck around folding out the ends, necessary on all end folders just to be useable. Just wind it up & get in.

Saw an old Penguin at Mungeranie on the Birdsville track. Couple had been travelling for many years in it. Was raised higher, & had plenty of extra rivets & silicone, & I recall thinking at the time that if I ever wanted a cheap camper something like that would be great.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 6th October 2020 at 04:23 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure which brand, but I have heard stories of the cable snapping when winding up the top or in high winds. You'll have to do a bit of research on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had two pop up campers, the first was a Starcraft (I think) and the second a Jayco Eagle. We travelled with both pretty extensively and never had any issues with wind.
    On one of our last trips we stayed at the Grampians with the Eagle and there was a massive wind storm, tents ripped apart and annexes blown away but we had no problem. It was pretty severe and frightening with lots of trees down. Mt William recorded the maximum wind gusts of 113kph the grand kids still talk about it, one slept right through it but the other was wide awake with us.
    I posted up a service manual for the wind up campers here somewhere and a broken wire wouldn’t be that difficult to repair as I’ve tracked how they work and it’s fairly accessible. Even with one broken you can still lift them, just need a pole to hold that corner up.
    Last edited by jack; 6th October 2020 at 05:26 PM.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

mudnut (6th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an 80's Jayco Dove and one of the first trips took it on had a real wild storm . Ended up packing up at 2 in the morning and driving home trees down everywhere but the old Jayco held together alright . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm maybe my mates are just over cautious. Although considering the price of new canvas it might make sense ;-)

I was hoping to get something around $1k that I could fit out as I liked. Plenty for sale but all requiring new canvas which was quoted as much as a good ready to go camper!

Regarding cables. I've read this about a few different but similar campers. A few I looked at had been modified to take aluminium poles at each corner once the roof was up.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: Jonesy Mate!
    Same as Rossco owned an earlier 1960’s ‘Dove’ purchased due to solid liked underguts :-)
    Nearly shat myself when had to fork out near $3k for canvas to make it Mrs Worthy :-(
    Wind high wise on new ‘Southern Cross Canvas’ could never sleep properly with thoughts of needing to upgrade four corner telescopic slip joints near bending :-)
    “High Winds” throw a large tarp over and batten down all outreaches for the deflection needed incoming :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk