OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Is there an accurate guide for car / caravan wiring(batteries, solar etc)?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there an accurate guide for car / caravan wiring(batteries, solar etc)?

Hi

Is there a good source by a QUALIFIED person detailing how and why to set up the 12v power and charging systems for cars/caravans?

I was googling what I thought were simple questions such as: adding an Anderson plug (should it be of auxillary battery, what if that battery is charged via a 20amp DC-DC charger - how can you take advantage of a high output alternator (i.e. 60amp at plug); how and should you charge van batteries while driving but have the fridge run off vehicle then switch back to van when ignition off; real world testing of DC-DC chargers in vans Vs simply via the car alternator etc...
    Seemed like pretty simple questions to me but all I found was caravaning forums filled with BS and arguements.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there is.

You cannot do better than one of the books by Collyn Rivers. Easy to read, so much so that initially when I bought my first one years ago I thought it couldn't contain sufficient info.However I found it a resource I returned to time & again when building the two systems I have put into vehicles, & it has all the necessary info. Money well spent IMHO Collyn is now well into his 80's & I haven't seen a recent edition of his books, so it is possible that they may not be fully up to date re LifePo4 batteries, but even if not everything else you need is there.

https://rvbooks.com.au/
    Last edited by Cuppa; 4th October 2020 at 02:10 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Jonesy_sa (4th October 2020)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I'll grab a copy!