Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera & lens mounting options

Hi,

Looking for any suggestions, options, advise on mounting my professional level camera in the cab of my 2014 GU Ute. I am an ametuer photography and always have my camera with me in the cab for quick access. There is currently no way of mounting it securely, or safely to stop it getting knocked about. It often has a large lens on it the rig weighs about 2.5-3kgs.
    I was thinking of some kind of mounting braket/box on the back wall between the seats. Any suggestions or info about if this has been done before would be great.
    Thanks
    Camera.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure a static camera mount is designed to withstand the dynamic forces from a hard mounting inside a 4wd, unless you inteand driving on bitumen roads, and good ones at that. If the camera is that expensive, keep it in its case surrounded by foam and simply remove when required. Its hard enough finding decent rigid mounts for GPS units let alone a 5kg camera.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A small pelican case, or similar mounted for easy access would be the best option as they are lockable. You can seal the camera from dust, have silicon gel to absorb any moisture and the foam should dampen the vibrations. @Cuppa has one.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have a Pelican case. If sized correctly a camera & lens combo can be safely stored as Mudnut says, but how it would be 'mounted inside a GU ute cab I have no idea. There is very little available space. I tend to carry mine with its most used lens fitted (Sony A6500 +Sony 16-70mm zoom) in a soft camera bag (Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30i in which I can carry up to 4 lenses including the 16 to 70mm mounted on the camera body plus a small tripod, spare batteries & cleaning stuff) which sits nicely behind the central console which has a few bits & pieces stuffed down behind it, leaving a perfect space for the camera bag to sit safely. We have dual bucket seats & centre console from an ST model. The rest of the lens travel in the Pelican case , usually carried under the doona on the bed in our Tvan or in the passenger footwell or seat if required. For most of our travels the soft bag has been fine, but in the humidity of the tropics protection against moisture was needed (as fungus began to grow inside my 150-600mm zoom) - hence the Pelican case. Not cheap but it works well maintaining around 30% humidity, & offering good 'bump' protection. .

You could just make up a foam filled box (or buy a smaller pelican case just for the camera & that lens), but unless you have a centre console you will probably just need to have it sitting on a seat??

IMG_1419 (1).jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of one just for the camera and lens in the opening post'. There has been quite a few times I wish I had such a set up for quick shots.
    Last edited by mudnut; 5th October 2020 at 09:53 AM.