Thread: Exhaust extractors

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exhaust extractors

Hi guys,
    I have a TD42 N/A engine black top GQ shorty. I've changed the exhaust from the expansion couplink back to 3''.
    Now want to do the front end. Yep i know turbo the thing. I like it nice and stock and drive it every day to work and go off road about 10% of the time.
    Has anyone got comments about using TRI-Y extractors over conventional balanaced systems.
    I have found with street V8's that TRI-Y's offer more torque than balanced longer systems at lower rev's.
    It's doing 1100 rpm on the open road speed limit flat road.
    My other TD42 N/A thats in a 7 meter bus has a way different exhaust manifold and way bigger twin pipes off the manifold.

General comment: We dont have to run CATS in NZ and the OZ road worthy is the same as a wof in nz apart from you can get a wof from the local MTA person. Take your rig to a VTNZ to get a wof is the same as over the pits in Oz. If you run a 3500kg tow bar and then tow 3500kg you then need a COF which is over the pits every time (six months unless not 10 years old ) and you need truck licence to be driving it. Heaps of Mums with the big tailers on have had issue's with the blue light taxi.

Kel
    Last edited by G-ForceCrew; 10th July 2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: meaning word replaced found

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the low revving nature of the long stroke TB/TD engine series fitting a tuned length 6 into 1 set of headers would be pointless as they are better suited to high rev applications where low to mid range torque is not so important. As far as I have seen all the off the shelf headers/extractors for TD/TB engines are of the 6 into 2 into 1 design for this reason.
    TD42, TB42 and TB45 use the same extractors.

Tony

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

G-ForceCrew (10th July 2011), patch697 (10th July 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Tony. Any contacts for the fixey joint. they are pretty hot hot price over here. The Girl goes back to QSL again next week.(Friday) Better than sock's.

Kel

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any contacts in NZ.
    When you say "fixey joint" are you referring to the braided flex joint? I get my exhaust components from local exhaust shops but it's been a few years since I last got anything for my exhaust systems so I don't know what the prices are or how they compare to your side of the ditch.

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep braided flex Joint thats the right words. Thanks.

Kel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A TRUE tri-y for a 6 cylinder engine is a 6-3-1 design which works better with the firing order.
    If you can find this design it will be the best way to go, a 6 into 1 (if available) would not be any good for what you are after.