Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alloy Rims and Wheel Nuts - GU Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following my initial post on wheel nut torque settings I am pleased to report the wheels have not fallen off and have been pleased with the truck. I had it in for a service recently at Nissan dealership and checked wheel nuts before I did a wheel rotation - surprisingly not part of the survice! All nuts without 'indicators' were overtight - maybe the rattle gun was only put on the accessible nuts. Following rotation all nuts set to 130Nm. Will keep a check over the coming weeks.
    Torque wrenches - I have used a Norbar wrench since 1985 and recently purchased a 0 to 60 Nm unit and had my 'old' one re-calibrated. It was out by 10 to 15%. I agree wrenches should be re-set to zero after use to preserve spring rate.
    The incorrect use of poorly set/calibrated rattle guns is an issue for all vehicle users - stretched threads, nuts difficult to remove and crushed alloy rims.
    My advice is be vigilant, especially after someone else 'touches' your vehicle.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have got into the habit of regularly checking my wheel nuts. Does'nt take long and I know I'm not going to have one of my wheels overtake me when I'm driving down the highway.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle 202 View Post
    Have read with interest the posts on factory alloy wheel issues with Patrols.
    Recent purchase of a 2011 ST GU 3L TD has highlighted this issue. The vehicle as supplied from the dealer was fitted with 'nut indicators', ranging from nil to six per wheel (go figure that one) - total of twelve supplied. On checking nut torques these ranged from 110 Nm to 185 Nm (OM says 133 Nm/ 98 ftlb - assume for both alloy and steel as no advice is given on this in OM).
    No wonder problems exist with the alloy wheels - steel wheels are a little more forgiving of 'over-tightening'. Crushing of alloy wheels around the tapered stud holes is also an issue from what I read. Have reset nut torques to 133 Nm and will check to see if changes occur.
    I would be interested to hear if other members have been able to extract 'reliable' info from Nissan on this issue.
    Keep the wheels where they should be - on the vehicle!
    Eagle 202
    I work for a mining contractor where we have a series of Y61 Nissan Patrols in our fleet in the CQ region. We were notified of a wheel nut torque issue by one of our sites where I contacted head of Nissan direct on this issue.

Response:

Workshop manual does not differentiate in tension from alloy to steel wheel so 133Nm is correct for both wheels. The manual also state a Min torque of 118Nm to Max 147 Nm so 133Nm is best advised.

We updated our on-site service sheets accordingly and have not had an issue since.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” ― André Gide

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beno For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (12th January 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to post - Just purchased my new 2013 GU in December last year - looked in the centre console - found a pack of twelve (12) only OEM wheel nut indicators.....WTF!!! Anyway, I had a giggle.

On another note - we have recently completed a wheel nut torque NDT test with mining off highway truck nut/cleat type rim set-up. ALWAYS ENSURE YOUR WHEEL NUTS ARE LUBRICATED - NEVER TORQUE UP WHEEL NUTS DRY. You lose a significant amount of clamping force tightening a dry wheel nut due to friction of the thread. If you use lubricated (oil is preferred / anitseize or equivalent will do) will ensure you achieve the required torque setting.

I hope to have the report on dry vs lubricated wheel nuts in next week or two.

Chris.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” ― André Gide

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beno For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (12th January 2014), MudRunnerTD (12th January 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinful View Post
    There is a tool to remove the caps, it should be in the glove box or centre console this is supplied by your Nissan dealer when the recall is carried out. sinful.
    What does this tool look like? I've found nothing......lol
    GROOVY GUVII

2" Toughdog Lift, Ctek D250S, 152AH AGM Battery, Homemade Battery Box, Duel Rear Cameras, GME TX3510W UHF, Alloy Roof Rack, Kings 2.5m Awning, Titan Drawers.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    after you have new tyres or a rotation done it
    always pays to check again after 30-40 Ks.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've posted this before....
    The part of the recall from Nissan is also not just indicators but laminated card showing how to fit wheels correctly.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

clubbyr8 (23rd June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    I think I've posted this before....
    The part of the recall from Nissan is also not just indicators but laminated card showing how to fit wheels correctly.

Cheers
    Thanks mate, I've got the laminated card for the wheels, but no tool or card for the wheel nut indicators. I guess they just lever off???
    GROOVY GUVII

2" Toughdog Lift, Ctek D250S, 152AH AGM Battery, Homemade Battery Box, Duel Rear Cameras, GME TX3510W UHF, Alloy Roof Rack, Kings 2.5m Awning, Titan Drawers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12