Thread: Alloy Rims and Wheel Nuts - GU Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alloy Rims and Wheel Nuts - GU Patrol

Have read with interest the posts on factory alloy wheel issues with Patrols.
    Recent purchase of a 2011 ST GU 3L TD has highlighted this issue. The vehicle as supplied from the dealer was fitted with 'nut indicators', ranging from nil to six per wheel (go figure that one) - total of twelve supplied. On checking nut torques these ranged from 110 Nm to 185 Nm (OM says 133 Nm/ 98 ftlb - assume for both alloy and steel as no advice is given on this in OM).
    No wonder problems exist with the alloy wheels - steel wheels are a little more forgiving of 'over-tightening'. Crushing of alloy wheels around the tapered stud holes is also an issue from what I read. Have reset nut torques to 133 Nm and will check to see if changes occur.
    I would be interested to hear if other members have been able to extract 'reliable' info from Nissan on this issue.
    Keep the wheels where they should be - on the vehicle!
    Eagle 202

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I recieved my recall notice from Nissan I thought it was a bit rude that Nissan would only supply 12 nut indicators on a vehicle that has 24 wheel nuts.
    It sounds to me like who ever was the last person to put the wheels back on your Patrol was lacking in the common sense that would have you put 3 nut indicators on per wheel then ignored the recall advice that said to "torque" up the wheel nuts and used a rattle gun instead.

Tony

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased 2004 Patrol and noticed the "nut covers" on 3 out of 6 on each wheel. These have Nissan logo and a red pointer that I couldn't figure out. I guess from reading this post these are to indicate if nuts are loosening - is this right?

Also how do you remove these to get to the nuts as there is nothing in handbook
    Thx
    Barney

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney56 View Post
    I just purchased 2004 Patrol and noticed the "nut covers" on 3 out of 6 on each wheel. These have Nissan logo and a red pointer that I couldn't figure out. I guess from reading this post these are to indicate if nuts are loosening - is this right?

Also how do you remove these to get to the nuts as there is nothing in handbook
    Thx
    Barney
    There is a tool to remove the caps, it should be in the glove box or centre console this is supplied by your Nissan dealer when the recall is carried out. sinful.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed my indicators. I would prefer to check wheel nuts with a torque wrench regularly. The indicators just got in the way.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not found ONE tyre outlet yet that know how to fit these indicators.....

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy1961 View Post
    I have not found ONE tyre outlet yet that know how to fit these indicators.....
    They don't know how to push them onto the wheel nuts???

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having this topic on the forum has made me grab the torque wrench and leave it set at 133nm in the back of the ute.
    I do use a rattle gun when changing rims as it is a quick job then. Then tighten up with the wrench.
    I still find some wheel nuts are tighter than others after a week or two.
    My daughters bloke is a diesel mechanic, when they refit a rim to a truck they have to notify the driver and he has to re tighten them after some K's.
    Guess there is a message there for us even if it is on a much smaller scale.
    The rattler is not a good one, SP brand and was about $80 it certainly makes life easy, fitted a couple of tow bars last week, so easy.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Having this topic on the forum has made me grab the torque wrench and leave it set at 133nm in the back of the ute.
    Not the best idea to leave the torque wrench set to any thing other than zero for to long, over time can distort the spring and it wont be quite as accurate. Better of just marking the correct torque with a scratch or something and winding it up and down every use.

Unless its a digital torque wrench then it doesn't matter!
    Teno's Troll...
    08 CRD ST. 2" lift, 33' Maxis Bighorns, Snorkel, ARB Deluxe Bar with Foggies, 12000lbs Avenger Mako TDS with Synthetic rope.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Teno45. You are correct,
    I have one with a spring that is left at zero.
    The one Im using for the wheel nuts has no resistance when changing settings. I have a feeling it is mechanical even though the workings are fully enclosed in the handle.
    Ive had it since 1980 and never zeroed it and it works fine.
    Or its damaged and I dont know the difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast