Thread: GQ Ti from brake pads

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ Ti from brake pads

Son bought a gq ti a few weeks ago. The brakes seem pretty crap. Cannot get them to lock.

Now before upgrading everything I’d thought I’d try better pads. Rear pads need replacing soon anyway (according to mechanic who did a service) not sure about the front.

Reading the threads it seems ebc brake pads might be the go. I think they only have green stuff for the gq y60. The question is how do I tell if I have single piston or twin piston calipers?

Pretty sure it started its life as a ti gq petrol, probably carburettor. Which would imply single piston. It’s been re engined with a td4.2 so I’m not positive what engine it had originally. The efi I think had twin piston

Is there a way to tell? I’ve never replace brakes myself but I’m reasonably handy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only the EFI had the twin pots i believe. The calipers are made by SUMITOMO and thats on the casting of the caliper. They are a bit larger in size than the single pot units. The discs are also larger in diameter, I think 280mm compared to 306mm. I swapped mine over before my engineering process and cant remember the pads I went for - will see if I can find that for you. They stop OK, but not as brilliant as i was led to believe. Best upgrade was the braided lines in my opinion. I also am now leaning back towards the standard nissan pads to be honest as the replacements are certainly 'higher performance, more heat resistant' however the standard pads still had 80% of thickness at 100,000klm, and they stopped mine during 44 emerg stops and passed engineering without an issue - unsure if the replacements would have pulled up the same, and the brake test was with the original single pot calipers, not the twins.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 3rd October 2020 at 11:10 PM.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Btw
    The first two links seem broken

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, tried to copy and paste but they also failed. Ebay is your friend. I will try later with a different method