Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metal on Metal Shackle wear

I have attached an image that was circulated today at my old workplace. The shackle and eyebolt were used to couple a 240v overhead light in a plant. Over time, with constant movement, no doubt grit and moisture as well, significant wear resulted. i raise this more as a check for all those shackles and even winch hooks that are fastened to bullbars or left in place 100% of the time simply because you know they are there or perhaps can't be bothered storing them correctly. I realise the intensity of the loading and constant contact and vibration are likely more severe than our 4wd situation, but it might be a good time to check this items and perhaps review how they are stored. I for one have connections in both these categories, which I will be changing. The safety report released indicates this wear took place over a 2-3 yr period. What is interesting for me is the absence of wear on the SS 304 eyebolt yet the alloy steel shackle and pin are severely worn.
    Shackles.png
    Last edited by PeeBee; 25th September 2020 at 06:13 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (25th September 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See Jeep owners and F Truck owners with 2 shackles hanging off the 2 tow points on the front bar. Scary.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (25th September 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if there was some earth leakage from the light and a bit of electrolysis happening?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (26th September 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    I wonder if there was some earth leakage from the light and a bit of electrolysis happening?
    Bill. I think its friction in the main to be honest, a lack of detail around what they were actually put in place, adoption of a hanging system that would be perfectly acceptable in a 'still clean environment' , and a set and forget mentality with no responsibility assigned to periodically inspect and confirm condition. These are high bay LED units and weigh a fair bit - up to 8kgs, so its a significant weight overhead
    Last edited by PeeBee; 26th September 2020 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to know the exact circumstances here. That seems a lot of wear 1. From a hanging light in a workshop and 2. Considering the stainless eyelet looks almost untouched.
    304 stainless(if that's what it is) is quite hard.. But still.

You see kids swings attached with bow shackles that don't look anything like that after years of abuse. This including the chains attached to said swing.

I'm also tending towards something else going on here.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say plant, do you mean some kind of machinery operating?

That would make more sense. If that was attached to a moving/vibrating machine working long/24hrs a day I could see something like that happening.

Impressive none the less. I would expect most people would catch something like this prior to actually carrying out a recovery with it.
    Last edited by 0-TJ-0; 26th September 2020 at 02:39 PM.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    304 is not hard, its a tough material and soft in most regards. The shackle assy was hanging in the roof area of an open warehouse, but exposed to the wind re dirt and movement. The buildings in this area are covered in crap and being an associated warehouse in an area utilising acid as part of the process, acidic residue is generated and I am 'guessing' but think its likely to be an abrasion and slight corrosion effect that has caused it to fail, however the rocking movement between the two is a big contributor, hence why I posted it for comparison with our attachments. I think you would catch it for sure doing a recovery, but by then it could be the oh crap, this is my only shackle or I wonder what else is damaged ? It was not on the site I work at, but another company site in Aust. We can't/don't use this attachment method for fixed plant or fixtures, especially with alloy steel as the acid chews it out pretty quick on its own. 304 SS however is quite resistant to various concentrations of acid and is used about the plant I was working at in small localised applications. Most of our fittings are 316 or SAF 2205 or SAF 2507. It is a staggering display for sure. The alloy steel is like butter compared to the 304, which looks like new. I am guessing it is an alloy steel shackle, only because of the coloured pin amd raised letters, but if it was hung by an electrical contractor, it could be anything. For example, the site purchased a s/h boiler as a back-up during a refurb of the main unit. The seller arrived on site to supervise and assist with the installation. I kid you not, he turned up with bags of un marked or certified bolts be had bought at Bunnings in Mt Isa prior to arrival and was slapping these in in flanges and inspection doors etc - so you just dont know. Luckily I caught him before he had gone too far and we swapped them out with 8,8 HT bolts as per the code.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (26th September 2020), mudnut (27th September 2020)