Thread: Td42t confusion

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Td42t confusion

Hi all a couple of quick questions regarding the td42t engine. I have had 3 gu patrols with td42t engines in them and i am a little confused at something i just learned. I recently advertised that i wanted to buy a td42t and i received a reply along with some pictures of a td42t that is said to be out of a factory turbo Gu patrol wagon. As soon as i looked at the pics i noticed 2 things that didnt seem quite right. The first being that the oil dipstick was on the passenger or left side of the engine approx in line with the number 3 cylinder (so towards the front of the engine) and secondly the power steering pump is also on the left side of this engine. What confuses me is that on all my gu patrols the dipstick is on the drivers or right side and towards the rear of the engine and the power steering pump is also on the right side and that is the case with every gu with a td42t that i have ever looked at the engine bay of. So i rang my local nissan dralership and the guy i spoke to said every picture he had on the computer in front of him of the td42t in a gu showed the dipstick in the position i mentioned before on the passenger side of the engine but he couldnt tell me about the pump because it isnt shown on the pics he had there. So what i am asking forum members is does anyone have a td42t in a gu that is configured the way i mentioned as being strange to me ie with these items on passenger side of engine. Please let me know because i dont know whether to buy the engine that has been offered to me based on this, i am thinking it could be a variant intended for overseas markets in a different type of vehicle, and my research shows there is a variant that was available in the Malaysian market in something called an Atlas and it is a very underpowered variant of the td42t and i dont want to make the mistake of getting lumbered with one of those. Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks and look forward to your replies.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Steer clear of that one. I've never seen an australian model like that. Probably an import engine. Though I've never seen an import engine so its just a guess. But steer clear of that particular one I would...

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like its a grey import or a container full of TD42 motors from a wrecking operation overseas perhaps, LH drive or different config to the patrol. Good pick up though as could lead to a lot of wasted cash and time.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My research some years ago found Malaysia as you’ve uncovered too Badger Mate are still running a Nissan 4.2 variant in two of their UD truck 8.0T & 5.0T models.
    As far as I got was that a work colleague near there had concerns that their bellhousing/bolt configurations might be different too, he wasn’t 100% sure but was brought up in his discussions to consider the potential issue.
    Had planned to fly in one day with a cardboard Aussie template but never eventuated unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TD42 was used in a wide variety of vehicles including Atlas & Cabstar trucks & Civilian buses. No idea if any had the configuration you have seen advertised though. I do know some had different sump shapes & capacities though.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all thanks for replying, i knew something wasnt right when he answered my add with this engine stating it was a complete engine with all accessories including turbo and fuel pump out of a factory turbo gu wagon that had only done 120,000 "genuine" kilometres all for the ridiculously generous price of $700. That started me thinking firstly why would u remove this engine unless vehicle was badly damaged from an accident and that no one is that freaking stupid as to own a gu patrol and not know the value of a td42t engine with 120,000 "genuine" kms on it so i was rather surprised when he sent 2 pics of it and i picked up the differences immediately. Anyway enough said about this clown sorry character, (oops that slipped out). Why not just be upfront and say what it is really out of or where it really came from because to be honest i am still very much interested in buying it for $700 just to find out what the differences actually are, and i think there would be more than enough useable bits to cover the $700 spent. Another thing that bothers me though is why do all the pics my local nissan dealer have of td42t engines show the oil dipstick on the passenger side of engine towards the front. I am sure these things are done by the manufacturers just to confuse us and complicate matters that would otherwise be quite easily figured out. 😀
    If i knew how to upload pics from my android smart phone to this forum i would happily show u all these pics of said engine. Thanks again for the replies and advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Hi all thanks for replying, i knew something wasnt right when he answered my add with this engine stating it was a complete engine with all accessories including turbo and fuel pump out of a factory turbo gu wagon that had only done 120,000 "genuine" kilometres all for the ridiculously generous price of $700. That started me thinking firstly why would u remove this engine unless vehicle was badly damaged from an accident and that no one is that freaking stupid as to own a gu patrol and not know the value of a td42t engine with 120,000 "genuine" kms on it so i was rather surprised when he sent 2 pics of it and i picked up the differences immediately. Anyway enough said about this clown sorry character, (oops that slipped out). Why not just be upfront and say what it is really out of or where it really came from because to be honest i am still very much interested in buying it for $700 just to find out what the differences actually are, and i think there would be more than enough useable bits to cover the $700 spent. Another thing that bothers me though is why do all the pics my local nissan dealer have of td42t engines show the oil dipstick on the passenger side of engine towards the front. I am sure these things are done by the manufacturers just to confuse us and complicate matters that would otherwise be quite easily figured out. 
    If i knew how to upload pics from my android smart phone to this forum i would happily show u all these pics of said engine. Thanks again for the replies and advice.
    Hey Badger, I just sent you a private message here with my phone number if you want to sms it to me I can put it here for everyone, I'm keen to see it too.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the Ni$$an stealer is looking at the pic backwards. I have the Same Nissan Parts program on my pc and it shows the dipstick on the RHS. As also does on the Partsouq website. Which is pretty much a copy of the Nissanfast program Nissan use.
    td42.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here’s the photos blokes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Here’s the photos blokes.

Well Bloody Hell!! I was going to chime in and say they took the photos in Selfie Mode and the phots are mirror images for sure... But that is 100% wrong... Very strange

Oil dip stick and Power Steering fluid on the Hot side.... Nice!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast