Thread: How Strong is the rear of a GU?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile How Strong is the rear of a GU?

A month ago I stopped at a give way sign due to traffic and then 3 seconds later a Mitsubishi SUV hit my rear mounted tyre at speed and the damage to his vehicle was enormous! My GU with tow bar fitted suffered a slightly dented rear door which was replaced and other very minor damage. My spare tyre had a hole the size of a 10cent piece but it held the 45psi with no worries! But was later it found to be not roadworthy, so the spare was replace. I am have been given a nice brand new BFG all terrain LT 265/75R16 with a DOT build number of 0810 (latest) but my other 4 tyres are Micky Thompson 4 ribs!
    I pleaded with the panel beaters to match my other tyres with an extra payment but they were unable to oblige! Does anyone want a brand new BFG to swap for a Micky Thompson or some other kind of trade or exchange? If so I am at Ferntree Gully, Victoria, Australia.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wdKenny View Post
    A month ago I stopped at a give way sign due to traffic and then 3 seconds later a Mitsubishi SUV hit my rear mounted tyre at speed and the damage to his vehicle was enormous! My GU with tow bar fitted suffered a slightly dented rear door which was replaced and other very minor damage. My spare tyre had a hole the size of a 10cent piece but it held the 45psi with no worries! But was later it found to be not roadworthy, so the spare was replace. I am have been given a nice brand new BFG all terrain LT 265/75R16 with a DOT build number of 0810 (latest) but my other 4 tyres are Micky Thompson 4 ribs!
    I pleaded with the panel beaters to match my other tyres with an extra payment but they were unable to oblige! Does anyone want a brand new BFG to swap for a Micky Thompson or some other kind of trade or exchange? If so I am at Ferntree Gully, Victoria, Australia.
    Ahhh, got to love when insurance comes into the equation sticking with the letter of the law for replacements - meanwhile however, they're more than happy to take your premium with the Mickey T's fitted ... it's a joke ...

Hope you find someone to swap them with mate.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that the word of the panel shop or the insurance company on that spare?

I can't comment cos I wasn't there but I will say I think you got raw deal mate.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm with Patch mate,

i bet the panel beater just ordered from a stock without checking your car. Firstly your entitled to have a like for like i would think? Secondly, the moment you fit that tyre to your car it is no longer RoadWorthy!! Thirdly....... Where did the guy get a list order for a BFG?? it is not like the car came out with a BFG?? WTF. have you paid your excess yet? give the insurance company a call and complain. the panel beater is definitely NOT the LAST WORD!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I'm with Patch mate,

i bet the panel beater just ordered from a stock without checking your car. Firstly your entitled to have a like for like i would think? Secondly, the moment you fit that tyre to your car it is no longer RoadWorthy!! Thirdly....... Where did the guy get a list order for a BFG?? it is not like the car came out with a BFG?? WTF. have you paid your excess yet? give the insurance company a call and complain. the panel beater is definitely NOT the LAST WORD!!
    Exactly, I agree with Muddy. Insurers often just say replace it and the panel beater then does what's best for him. Make him replace it with a matching tyre otherwise your Trol will be unroadworthy when you fit the spare. Don't let 'em get away with it.
    GU Series 4 Ti, 3.0 CRD Auto with extra bits

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate i reckon re the damage on the other car is that these days late model cars a designed to crumble on impact to absorb the energy so your brains dont get scrambled ...however GU are mighty tough..i leave my tow bar on as well just in case of a rear end smash...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re the BFG tyre supplied under insurance and inability to allow my request to pay extra to get a Micky T to match my other 4 tyres.
    It was the word of the Panel Shop first and then confirmed by the Insurance Company, They explained they were stuck with rigid rules although they could see my point of view about the road safety in having 5 matching tyres!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re the wrong spare tyre replacement on insurance!
    Thanks to all you guys for you input, I am now looking for someone who wants a bargain BFG brand new and lives near Ferntree Gully Victoria!
    Cheers and happy 4wding. If I can help anyone with a cut price new 4wd fridge let me know!
    regards,

4wdkenny