Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Tyres.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should get this bloke onto it 10G. Pinched from a thread on ExplorOz forum

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

10G (10th September 2020), PeeBee (10th September 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an excellent, simple idea for sure. I made a similar jigger to get my roofrack on and off the car by myself, worked well, but leave it on fulltime now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found this thread, I have had the Toyo MTs and now the RTs.
    The MTs worked very well for me, this time I went for the RTs, to try something different, and I don't seem to be finding as much mud these days.
    The RTs are a little quieter and don't seem to chip as much, on the really rocky tracks, not that the MTs chipped any more than other mud tyres, I have had.
    I haven't tried the MTs in thick mud yet, everywhere else I have been very happy with them.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulyg For This Useful Post:

10G (10th September 2020), Cuppa (10th September 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    You should get this bloke onto it 10G. Pinched from a thread on ExplorOz forum

That's not bad eh Cuppa. I suppose he parks under the boat.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @paulyg. They do seem to be liked by those who have them. Good to hear about them going ok on the rocky stuff. Hope all is well with you & L down there in Vic.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 10th September 2020 at 05:51 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my Y62... very happy with them, quiet on the bitumen, great on the beach and the tracks.
    When the time comes I will be getting another set thats for sure.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just replaced the set of BF Goodrich Mud's that I wasn't that keen on going with, was intending to go for a set of All Terrain Tyres originally, not seeing the benifits of Mud Terrain, so did look at Toyo 4wd Tyres as they are listed at a good prices as shown below, but I knew bugger all about Toyo Tyres.

I had used a couple Sets of KUMHO All Terrain's on my D22 for a few years, got good mileage, and found them to be OK for a 4wd tyre and good on the black top and were priced good too, but was surprised the KUMHO price had raised some since my last set and told they were nosier then they used to be.

Having been some 5 years since buying my last set of 4wd Tyres and being a little on the back foot on what tyres are good and not so good, and that my spear tyre . . . BFG KM3 with about 50% good tread, I went for another set of 4 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM3 for $1200.

Looking back at it now, I could had gone for a 5 set of TOYO Open Country AT2 for the same overall price.

Untitled.png
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grant209 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (11th September 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I have noticed with the Toyo tyres, Both the MT and RT, I have to air down a little more than other tyres I have had.
    They have a very stiff sidewall.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulyg View Post
    One thing I have noticed with the Toyo tyres, Both the MT and RT, I have to air down a little more than other tyres I have had.
    They have a very stiff sidewall.
    Yes same with the nittos. I don't see it as such a bad thing, I figure that means the sidewalls are stronger.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    The aggressive tread is not a biggie for me. The D697's have been excellent in regard to their traction on everything from the desert sand to the boulders & rocks of the Munja track to the steep jagged climbs in the Gregory NP. Wet weather driving hasn't figured much at all, & river crossings have been fine. If it weren't for what I consider the overly flexible sidewalls of the D697's & their tendency to chip the tread too easily I wouldn't be looking at changing.

If we ever get caught by wet weather, we can just stop & wait it out until things dry out of we have to.

The current D697's are only about 12 months old (bought 4 in Broome), & probably don't have much more than 12,000kms on them, but the rears are already looking half worn with the passenger side rear quite badly chipped. I've heard stories about different quality rubber dependent upon whether the tyres were made in Japan or elsewhere. I think the current set have worn far more quickly than the previous set, with the majority of that having been on dirt, but still quicker than I expected. I haven't rotated them, & have decided not to. The two half worn spares are 7+ years old now, so need replacing. I will swap the two rear tyres with each other, & when they are in need of replacement will buy 4 new tyres & use the current front tyres as spares. For the time being I'll leave the D697's on the Tvan (2+spare).

Winnie, I note your comment about weight. My back may not appreciate it! Do you know if the Toyo RT's are much the same or lighter?

Rear passenger side - approx 12,000kms
    Attachment 81949
    Hi Cuppa
    The Bridgestone tyres made in Japan are only available at Bridgestone Stores so other retailers have tyres made in another country.
    I have had 3 sets of Japanese Bridgestones and get 100k a set including current 697's at 99k after doing Gunbarrel, Mitchell Falls and rest of Gibb but definitely need replacing after October trip to Fraser. I also found rear left tyre wore much quicker than the rest on gravel.
    When you eventually get down this way, call in and will show you around Fraser. There were plenty of fish late August but weed has come in now so more social drinking than fishing planned for October.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast