Thread: Hybrid Tyres.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hybrid Tyres.

Has anyone tried any of the newer generation 'hybrid' tyres? Eg Toyo RT (Rugged Terrain, Nitto Ridge Grappler & I'm sure there are others. A cross between AT's & Muddies.

They are looking attractive to me because they appear to have sidewalls less prone to staking damage which I would value.

They do seem to be a lot more expensive than AT's & MT's though.

I probably ought to replace my half worn 6+ year old spares before we head off remote again, so am thinking about what to replace my D697's with. Sidewall strength is high on my agenda given our vehicle's weight & the amount of bulge I get from the Bridgestones.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Toyota RT

Nitto Grappler

They both look pretty good Cuppa. How did your current tyres last

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    D697

My choice in those woyld be the Nittos. 9nly because they are more aggressive but that is my style. Both options appear more aggressive than these D697s so Side wall is the deciding factor.

I hear great things about the MTRs. They are expensive but nearllt bullet proof.

I assume you are not going to travel in the Wet season ans not concerned about mud.?

Have you looked at the BFG kM3s? They are a muddie but less aggressive than the KM2 IMO. Slightly closer tread pattern.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (7th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cuppa is talking about the Ridge grapplers though, not the trail grapplers you have pictured.

FWIW I did a lot of reading before buying my current tyres (Nitto Trail Grapplers). They seem to be perceived as having the strongest sidewall out of all the options. One thing though is they are HEAVY! Wasn't a concern for me but maybe worthwhile looking into for yourself.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (7th September 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The aggressive tread is not a biggie for me. The D697's have been excellent in regard to their traction on everything from the desert sand to the boulders & rocks of the Munja track to the steep jagged climbs in the Gregory NP. Wet weather driving hasn't figured much at all, & river crossings have been fine. If it weren't for what I consider the overly flexible sidewalls of the D697's & their tendency to chip the tread too easily I wouldn't be looking at changing.

If we ever get caught by wet weather, we can just stop & wait it out until things dry out of we have to.

The current D697's are only about 12 months old (bought 4 in Broome), & probably don't have much more than 12,000kms on them, but the rears are already looking half worn with the passenger side rear quite badly chipped. I've heard stories about different quality rubber dependent upon whether the tyres were made in Japan or elsewhere. I think the current set have worn far more quickly than the previous set, with the majority of that having been on dirt, but still quicker than I expected. I haven't rotated them, & have decided not to. The two half worn spares are 7+ years old now, so need replacing. I will swap the two rear tyres with each other, & when they are in need of replacement will buy 4 new tyres & use the current front tyres as spares. For the time being I'll leave the D697's on the Tvan (2+spare).

Winnie, I note your comment about weight. My back may not appreciate it! Do you know if the Toyo RT's are much the same or lighter?

Rear passenger side - approx 12,000kms
    IMG_1788.jpg
    Last edited by Cuppa; 7th September 2020 at 09:20 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I they were still making the BFG Rugged Terrains I would get them again. 50000 ks and still got good tread, but that has been mostly highway driving. They have stood up well to offroad driving too. I will soon have to make a choice on a replacement set so will watch this thread closely.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Based on your photo of your rear tyre @Cuppa I reckon the Nitto that Winnie pictured might be the go. The dirt roads are brutal. A muddie will disintegrate i reckon.

I spent 2 years in Northern PNG in the early 1990s and was killing 4 sets of tyres a year. Rubbish 3rd World tyres im sure but they just disappeared.

They are harsh conditions for a rubber tyre. You are heavy. A heavy tyre means more body. Go heavy I reckon.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've run at least 50,000 ks onto a set of Nitto mud grapplers, bloody good tyres, bloody strong as buggery. Reckon I have another 5-10,000 out of them but they'd be not much use off road.

They are heavy, I'm guessing that's old tech. I've run Cooper ST Maxxs and not had a problem, they're a 50/50 tyre.

I've actually weighed the Nitto and the Cooper, they're both at about the same level of wear and the same size. The Coopers are 2Kg lighter, so multiply 2Kg by the number of tyres you'd run to see how much weight you'd save.

The Nittos were cheaper than just about everything when I bought 'em, now they're almost as expensive as anything else.

I'm happy with the reliability of Nittos, Coopers and BFGs, so my next choice will almost come down to price.

I've not looked at the Falkens yet, but maybe they're worth looking at??????

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Based on your photo of your rear tyre @Cuppa I reckon the Nitto that Winnie pictured might be the go. The dirt roads are brutal. A muddie will disintegrate i reckon.

I spent 2 years in Northern PNG in the early 1990s and was killing 4 sets of tyres a year. Rubbish 3rd World tyres im sure but they just disappeared.

They are harsh conditions for a rubber tyre. You are heavy. A heavy tyre means more body. Go heavy I reckon.
    Well since I last posted a little light went on in my head!
    I recalled that when the blown tyre was replaced on the GRR, that the new one obtained there went onto the drawbar of the Tvan, & the unused one which had been on the drawbar was put on the car. It was the rear passenger side wheel. So I did a bit more checking.

I checked the dates on the Tvan tyres & the badly chipped one on the car. All the same 2014 date! I had thought they were younger than that. So the chipped tyre is 6 years old, & I suspect that this is why it has been more damaged than it's 2019 counterpart on the driver side rear. Rubber that has hardened. The part worn 2 spares we have carted around the country for the past couple of years , untouched during that time are 2013! The more I think about it the more I think the majority of the chipping damage occurred fairly recently, most likely on one particular weekend where we towed the Tvan up some long, narrow, steep & very rough & rocky tracks in the hills west of Mareeba, around Irvinebank. Around 3 to 4 hours in low range.

I also checked my records. Since the new tyres were fitted in Broome we have covered 15,000kms , so a bit more than my earlier estimate of 12,000. The tyre in the photo had done perhaps 700kms less, so not a major difference to my earlier estimation.

So whereas I was thinking that new tyres were going to be needed in the near future, I now think it best to replace all the 2014/13 ones before any further remote area trips. With the spare from Nev's place, on the Tvan also a 2019, I think the following replacement strategy probably makes the most sense, safety-wise & economically.

Remove the 3 x 2019 part worn D697's from the car & put them on the Tvan (including one as a spare).
    Buy 5 new tyres for the car (including one spare) & keep the current 2019 Tvan Spare as the second spare on the car. This does mean that it may be possible at some point to mix tyre brands on the same axle, not something I would usually do, but as a fallback second spare option to get me out of trouble it doesn't seem unreasonable

So this morning I did some ringing around. It seems that the car tyre industry is experiencing some difficulty in obtaining products due to Covid. Nitto , none anywhere & the ETA for them 'not within the next 3 months'. Price for the Ridge Grappler hybrids - '$325 if we could get them'. In some ways I wasn't sorry as my back really doesn't need any extra weight to lift. So this left my choice with the non-sexy but supposedly capable Toyo M55F's, which a friend with a 3700kg gvm Landcruiser & ultimate camper has been using for 4 years, a good recommendation from someone with a similarly weighty set up & similar travel style. .... or the you beaut Toyo Rugged Terrain (RT) Hybrid, which whilst having fancypants appearance, also has similarly stiff sidewalls as per their MT's. The M55's were priced at $290, but I was only able to locate 2 of them in stock, again with an unknown ETA for any more. The Toyo RT's were in stock both in Cairns, & better still in Mareeba. Contrary to the prices I had seen for these bad boys on the net of $375 each, the price I was quoted was $300 each...... same as I paid for my first set of D697's in 2013!

So tomorrow morning our bank balance will take a hit & we'll be getting a news set of Toyo RT shoes .
    Last edited by Cuppa; 8th September 2020 at 05:02 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

10G (8th September 2020), jack (8th September 2020), MB (8th September 2020), mudnut (8th September 2020), MudRunnerTD (8th September 2020), Plasnart (8th September 2020), Touses (9th September 2020), Winnie (8th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems some very well thought out all round renewal planning for future proofing next leg of your awesome adventures Cuppa Mate!
    Availability of a lot of things Australia wide appears to be hindered by C-19 these days with many like yourself and Mrs T experiencing.
    In a perfect world, I wonder what is believed to be the Ultimate ‘Mine Outback Speccy’ type tyre out there?
    Much like the capital cities Taxi companies ran Fords to 1,000,000 km in the day and Telcoms and the like relied on GU TD42 podders for their longevity and overall cost versus performance savings I suspect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast