Thread: Series 5 Y62 Patrol accessories

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Series 5 Y62 Patrol accessories

Hey I bit the bullet and ordered a 2020 series 5 y62.
    So now I'm searching for accessories, I'd like to get a bullbar & tradie rack. I need a Break controller, Anderson plug at the tow bar and tow pack with the intention of touring around with a camper trailer.

I called ORE and they said the ARB bullbar doesn't actually fit a series 5. I thought there was one out?
    They do a tradie rack though for about $1500.

Has anyone any experience with the accessories and can make some recommendations not only on what bar and racks are the best, but what other useful mods work on the Series 5?

Cheers
    Rich

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Patrolapart are modifying the ARB series 4 bar to fit the S5. Another option though, and I know it doesn't offer the same protection as ARB, but the Rhino bar looks so good on the S5.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

10G (8th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dash off road predator bar looks.ok on these also
    S4 or S3 arb Sahara bar middle hoop looks the ducks nuts on these if you want radiator protection
    Arb will not fit the bar on a s5,but you can order the bar and order adaption plates from patrolapart and get it fitted elsewhere

ECB make a 3.hoop bar also....look hideous in alloy but sort of look ok in colour code

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the feedback. I hear Nissan are releasing a Genuine Bullbar for the Series 5, which the dealer recommends as it gets crash tested and and we can be sure the airbags and other safety features all work.
    ECB bar on the site in silver/chrome, looks a bit odd. I expect black would be nicer? Shame they don't show the difference.
    I haven't considered a Rhino bar or Predator bar, if you hit a roo or bull out while touring, would you be walking home? I plan to do a few long trips out in roo country but I hear bulls are a even bigger issue up north of WA.
    What rack do you have on the Rhino vehicle? Do you know what your height clearance is?

cheers,

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richmc View Post
    thanks for the feedback. I hear Nissan are releasing a Genuine Bullbar for the Series 5, which the dealer recommends as it gets crash tested and and we can be sure the airbags and other safety features all work.
    ECB bar on the site in silver/chrome, looks a bit odd. I expect black would be nicer? Shame they don't show the difference.
    I haven't considered a Rhino bar or Predator bar, if you hit a roo or bull out while touring, would you be walking home? I plan to do a few long trips out in roo country but I hear bulls are a even bigger issue up north of WA.
    What rack do you have on the Rhino vehicle? Do you know what your height clearance is?

cheers,
    Sorry, the car is not mine unfortunately. Just a photo I came across on Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,958 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rhino do some sexy accessories but not really much in the protection stakes. Did a weekend away with the Rhino Ranger a couple of years ago and yeah it looked sexy, but like that S5 pic really not much protection going on. But yeah sexy as anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep a eye on weights, as you can easy go over Nissans 85kg front recommended limits, if you ever want a winch and spotties, i think the Rhino and Dash type bars are the only way to stay under 85kg.

The Rhino with Backbone mounts seems the most popular roof rack, but also seems to get the most complaints about wind noise, even when fitted with a wind deflector, i think Dash is bringing out a design that is supposed to be quiet ?

They (62s) are sensitive to trailer plug wiring , so a Nissan Loom is often a wise choice, this is one reason i went for a Nissan tow bar, but if you plan to upgrade to a rear bar then some come with a tow hitch point already so look into that.

You will most likely need airbags or up graded rear springs to tow "anything" (or a WDH, but Nissan don't recommend)

Redarc Tow Prow 3 seems to be the go to controller, ive got one and it works well, what ever you get, make it clear to the installer, that the car has Autonomus braking, as ive heard some systems dont work well, or need to be wired to suit (ie not just tapped off the brake pedal switch as normal)

Weight is your biggest enemy if you intend to tow "legally", some states allow for a GVM upgrade, but i don't think its approved for QLD, (cant tell if thats you, as you have no location listed) suggest you start adding up what stuff weighs before you buy anything, my stock S5 Ti (plus tow pack), with a Lithium (11kg) dual battery system, a almost empty 40L fridge, full tanks of fuel, and add my 210kg of trailer tow ball weight, has a GVM of 3120kg, that's not inc any people (not even a driver) or camping gear etc, so you can see how the remaining 380kg is not much to play with, so if you start adding 85kg of bar work.....well you can see where im going.

Other useful mod..................http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ithium-battery
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like 04OFF says watch the weights , I actually weighed the dealers S3 Ti demo before I decided to buy a 62 , with 2 of us but not a full tank it was 1420 Kg rear axle , 1540 Kg front axle .
    We only tow a Tvan camper so I bought a S4 Ti driven straight from the dealer to the weighbridge full tank , 2 of us , Nissan tow bar ( S3 Demo also had a tow bar ) it was 1460 Kg rear axle , 1540 Kg front axle ,
    I have since fitted a Rhino Bar , Runva Winch front axle is now 1640 Kg only 10 kg less than of Max of 1650 . Removed the 3rd row seats , fitted a FourBy Fitouts Touring Unit , 115 a/h Batt under the false floor , empty 39Lt Engel , some tools and recovery gear plus some extra stuff but not a full load of camping gear , rear axle 1680 kg . I also have Rival under body protection plates .
    So yes very easy to overload , if I towed a a big caravan I wouldn't of bought a 62 .

The rear suspension sags easily with not much weight , I first fitted HD AirBag Man Bags with the Kevlar sleeves the rear still dropped , I removed the the AirBags and fitted Lovells HD springs , the rear now sit at 560mm , std height with no load was 530mm , Front was 530mm std now with Bar and Winch 515mm , measurements from centre of hub to guard .

I would like to change the front springs but only want to lift it back to std height .
    Our Tvan depending of front box load has a ball weight of 160 kg - 180 kg .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow those weights aren't great!

I hear the y62 series 5 has had an update to the suspension and the tow ball down force table has gone?
    Does anyone have the spec on the series 5 weights? the Max is:
    Gross front axle capacity (kg) 1650
    Gross rear axle capacity (kg) 2030
    according to the Nissan website, but what is the kerb weight on the front?

I think I'll get airbags in the rear for towing, I expect to have an unladen weight around town, and a touring (towing) weight which airbags should help with. (I have a forward fold camper Trackstar Omaroo 3 that is 250kg+ on the ball) Airbag-man bags, you manually inflate are reasonably cheap.
    Redarc Tow Pro elite 3 is what I plan to use, It's the same as what is in my current vehicle.
    Still not sure about a front bar yet.
    Decided on a tradie style rack. Wind noise sounds like a pain, is the rhino really that loud? hmm

Sounds like the front springs need to be upgraded with the bullbar if it's going to sag a lot. Still no word on Nissan's OEM bullbar.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The update to the suspension was for comfort and nothing to do with load capacity, the tow ball table was a guide only, but caused so much confusion im glad they have binned those stickers.

Just be aware that with 250kg on the ball, the HD Airbag Man bags alone may not be enough to return the car to 100% level (well unless you plan to put "nothing" in the car)

This pic is about 210kg ball load, bit of stuff in the back but far from fully loaded, and 4 people ranging from 40-65 kg, HD Airbag Man @ 60psi (max pressure), not crazy low, but still a bit sagged in the bum compared to unladen.

20200710_120302 (2).jpg
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast