OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Replacement vacuum pump (for existing alternator)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement vacuum pump (for existing alternator)

Hi everyone,
    I’m in a rush to sort out a brake vacuum issue that, in the end, was caused by a lot of oil from the vacuum pump (back of alternator) getting into the brake booster. I’ve replaced all vacuum hoses and one way valves, cleaned oil from the vacuum tank and lines and installed a brand new brake booster. I have a new OEM quality 70A alternator/vac pump on order, but would prefer to just replace the vacuum pump and save hundreds of dollars (standard alternator seems to be charging both batteries adequately).
    My searching for a replacement pump to fit an alternator only results in alternator/pump combinations. Any advice on sourcing a replacement pump only?
    I might have to go with the new alternator as I have less than a week before a large trip is planned.
    Thanks in advance...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could go with a 12V vac pump as a stand alone, like a ProFlow or similar, I have one as a back up, and they are rated for constant duty. I understand Bosch also makes a good one. I seem to recall vacuum pumps being sold on ebay that were bolt on direct replacements to the factory pump also.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Mickmike (10th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be very weary of any new Postage delays at the moment mate, the system is coping a C-19 flogging and hopefully your complete alt/vac kit already ordered turns up ready for your departure.
    IMHO it couldn’t hurt keeping the old alternator onboard as a spare if weight for your adventure will permit and where to?
    Alternators hate mud, especially on new V8 lowdown located Landcrabs, lucky you chose a good old Nissan :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 weeks to get an item from dandenong to knox, then overnight from Sydney to Knox - work that out - totally hit and miss, I reckon some of these freight terminals must be a madhouse at best.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 474 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Y60 has a gear driven vacuum pump right bellow the IP, so the alternator is a regular one, I mean, car like or petrol like one. Not sure if that is an option for aussie Patrols.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    My Y60 has a gear driven vacuum pump right bellow the IP, so the alternator is a regular one, I mean, car like or petrol like one. Not sure if that is an option for aussie Patrols.
    Yes the GQ Y60 had the alternator vac pump and the Y61 G€ has the remote pump under the IP. This allows you to run basically any alternator that fits the space.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.