Thread: 6.5 litre Optimiser 2009 Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6.5 litre Optimiser 2009 Patrol

Hi Guys. Need you opinion. Looking purchasing a 2009 Patrol with a 6.5 litre v8 Optimiser with matching auto transmission. Yes or No

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the n/a optimiser conversion done to my 97 GQ 2.8TD but with a manual trans. I have since upgraded by adding a Harrop Supercharger. @MB has the n/a in a GU extra cab. I liked the manual in the n/a, but think the auto might make the s/c version better to drive because 1st is simply too low now - was ok in the n/a. The 4l80e and 4l85e trans seem to be in the mainstay, however there are are some running the nissan trans and the 6l90e trans I think. I cant help with the drive response with the auto in the n/a. Check out the following facebook links for specific conversion info I think is best
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/5129...target&fref=nf
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/566358020205271
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/147837915887418

Who did the conversion? What mileage post conversion? Does it come with a warranty? What are you using it for - towing - and where in Aussie would you be typically using it - they can be prone to overheating issues if loaded up or pushed hard.
    I love mine now, however was also happy with the original n/a version as well - just got power hungry!
    @MB, chime in here mate as you will probably have more GU specific info to add?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brunswick Diesal did the work. The car has only done 25k since the conversion. Towing nothing heavy just a camper. Just worry how reliable this thing is going to be. Or should just stick the 3.0 litre job. Already had a 3.0 litre before and found it gutless but reliable.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the forums I listed will give you a good base. Register on each and the users will be quite forthcoming. I have not had any mechanical issues with mine, however the conversion was not without its 'bee-stings'. If its an optimiser with 25K on the clock and has been well serviced and not driven like a mule or a race truck you should be ok. I am not seeing many people who own them keeping them for a long period, or high mileage units are not that common - unsure if this is a fault/weakness with the engine, or people get sick of the repairs/Brunswick interaction - which can be a bit difficult for some - or they simply upgrade to another vehicle. Biggest issue seems to be cooling/overheating and there have been a number of snapped crankshafts it seems of late, maybe 6 in the last 6 months I have heard of, but there never appears to be any root cause conclusions published - and engine history and if they were crate new engines or rebuilds or of the older 6.5 block and hardware but sold as Optimisers. I understand there have been issues with Brunswick refurbished motors, but a crate motor with issues is nothing Brunswick can control.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G’day Rocket Mate!
    My 6.5 Naturally Aspirated GU in front of Nissans OEM manual box is possibly the lowest revving and slowest to 2,500rpm donk I’ve ever owned but do love it for my usage in the mountains torque crawling as low as 600rpm.
    If it were for highway use I have been highly recommended by top folks from here to install an auto as they keep the rpm range up there between auto gear changes.
    Reliability wise, I’ve done a valve spring believed on last steep adventures from lack of lift pump pressure causing a redline air situation briefly but that’s not the tractor donks fault.

EDIT: I also spent $3k on an over the top cooling system specifically designed for my slow Vic mountain needs as it was never going to keep from boiling quickly found upon purchase by whom ever originally set it up in WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 5th September 2020 at 02:25 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are interesting comments. The guy has spend 65k on this rig between motor and gearbox. Plus another 20 k in extras. I’m just worry about reliability and if I break down ......spare parts. Also the rig is an auto. What’s you thoughts.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The owner told me the engine was out of the grate. Not a rebuild one.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spares are easy to get either in Australia or from the US. A lot of people buy their spares direct from the US - log into the forums above and start reading - its all there for you, the good and the bad. I would say by the sounds of it he has done the hard yards for you. 65K between motor and gearbox is a big spend so you expect he has achieved what he wanted to - why is he selling and where is it located now - do you have someone who can check it over?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW: Naturally Aspirated, Turbocharged, Supercharged are all I believe on the same playing field at tractor low down lugging rpm ranges.
    People either love these donks or hate them, personally I love them for their unregistable dyno chart 8 cylinder heavy as all unstoppable getup inertia cranking away

EDIT: Auto or Manual, throw some reduction gears deep back in Nissan’s transfer case and be sure to set your throttle to next week whilst you walk ahead to next camp setup awaiting her arrival :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 5th September 2020 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My prev rig was a turbo 6.5 with a Silverado crate auto tranny all fitted by Brunny Diesel.
    I would assume that is the "matching tranny" as that is what is in the Yank Trucks

Once the shift pattern is setup to suit the Patrol Diff ratio then they are awesome to drive, just point the wheels and press the noise pedal.
    Heaps better than the 5 speed IMHO and the box is rated to 6 ton towing or somesuch so literally bullet proof
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB (7th September 2020), PeeBee (7th September 2020)