Thread: Sub fuel tank light issues

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, added the earth and all good...... for a short time
    Played with the turbo timer: light came on consistantly with 22 second to go on a 1 minute timer setting??
    N o issues if set to 30 sec. Go figure

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some say with the GU`s, and extra earth helps fix a variety of issues.
    1984 MK Anniversary Model, LWB,SD33,Air-Con,P/S,Straight Body,Minimal Rust.........Not Bad For Free

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work on GU Patrol utes at work. We build most of the bodies for Ergon. On one of the ones we did we were spooling the winch cable on and we noticed the dash lights on the aftermarket switches that we fit were glowing while winching even though the circuits of the switches weren't on. Anyway, long story short, after a heap of diagnosis we found that the Patrols didn't have a good earth strap between the negative terminal of the battery and the chassis. There was one between the battery and the body but not the chassis. The winch was earthed through the chassis and there was small earth straps but obviously not enough for the full current of the winch under load. The winch was trying to find whatever earths it could through anything it could, including the dash wiring. Anyway, (I waffle on a bit don't I?) we fitted a dedicated earth strap for the winch and it fixed all of the problems. We had a couple of other problems and the earth strap fixed these too.

I am wondering if the lack of good chassis earth is the cause of these sub fuel tank problems. If the sub tank is attached to the chassis and the rest of the wiring is attached to the body and the earth for that circuit is getting a bit corroded it wouldn't take much for it to cause problems. Put on a decent sized earth between the battery and chassis and the problem should be solved. Especially if you have a winch fitted.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mickldo For This Useful Post:

Woof (22nd November 2010)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sub Tank Button not working

I press the Sub Fuel button and get nothing, with a full tank. Not sure if it is the button or not but I should start there.

Any pointers on where to start looking for a fix? Have just bought the vehicle and have just started digging around for manuals etc and all are pretty vauge in this area.

Thanks in advance.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I would be checking is the fuse. If the fuse is OK, leave it out for half an hour to reset the sub tank module.
    After that, the most common cause of sub tank faults is a bad earth between the body and chassis. Most people fix this by adding another earth strap between body and chassis down the rear of the vehicle.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have heard that if you disconnect the battery for a couple of hours it fixes the problem but only temporary, as Tony said that seems to be the main cause of it.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rapson, I have recently got a Patrol and have not figured out how the tank works.
    With the sub full or with fuel in it and the main low push the switch in and a green light shows on mine.
    Fuel is now transfering but its slow, takes maybe 1/2 to an hour to pump over.
    Recently had the main empty and the sub full, got nervous and pushed the switch as it didnt seem to work automatically. Didnt want to run the main dry and have to prime the pump.
    Still learning, and 175litres takes a long time to burn so I can fill up and have another go LOL
    Macca

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macca, your description of how the sub tank works is correct, and no, it's not automatic.

Tony

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    disconnect your battery completely for about 15 mins and then reconnect it. I recently had to do this myself, because i pulled a fuse out mometarily and that was enough to trip the sensor. Is there a light on your dash on as well that says subtank? If there is then your subtank button won't work until this is remedied. Of course you could take it to your local dealer and pay then a few hundred dollars to do what i just described.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sub tank pump works great until i use the turbo timer.
    It trips out.
    I turn battery power off. ( Cut out switch installed).
    A few minutes later i turn battery power back.
    Sub tank pump works. I have been told it is the way the turbo timer is wired into the thing the pump is wired to. Any suggestions. Cheers, Frank in the Flinders.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast