Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for advice

Hi,

My son is considering getting an early 2000's GU Patrol as his first car. I'll admit to knowing very little about Patrols but have seen plenty doing well on tough tracks. I'll start with a couple of basic questions -

Petrol or Diesel - I personally prefer Diesels but both are an option. If diesel 4.2 or 3.0?

what are the known common problems to look out for.
    Have heard of dash cracking, Steering wobbles, problems with 3.0 diesel,

Were any common problems fixed from series 1 to 4?

Roughly how many K's before engine starts to have problems.

I know some of these things will vary based on how well the vehicle was maintained. Looking for rough idea only.

Cheers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stricky For This Useful Post:

MB (20th August 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day Stricky Mate!
    Super depends on your sons budget and needs IMHO.
    By the sounds of it “tracks” I’m assuming mountains & mud where a diesel 4.2TD and or TD42Ti which all ended in late 2006 very early 2007 would be my personal pick albeit you’ll find some double the price of a 3.0L diesel and cheaper again for fast beach smashing yet guzzling petrols.
    Nissans smaller diesels of that vintage will require some bullet proofing mods and realistic expectations too as all GU’s are heavy off the showroom floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday Stricky
    very hard to answer very quickly,
    but
    1. petrol v's diesel
    depends on how many kms your young bloke is expecting to do per week, per year, and or if he is planning on towing every day
    if not - go the petrol
    more $$$ per km, but cheaper to buy initially. the price difference alone will get you maybe 2 to 5 years worth of fuel
    petrol
    TB45, I have been told its a slug, but it is 3000kgs out of the box, shaped like a brick - so meh
    TB48, a rocket, but thirsty as well
    diesel
    RD28, good little motor, prone to being over worked as it is a small 6cyl, in a BIG car
    ZD30, as long as she has been looked after, will give you mile of fun and enjoyment - abused she can be a nasty money hungry bitch to own and run
    CRD3.0 updated ZD with a little more power, and a lot more forgiving to owners
    TD42, a bullet proof slug, if looked after many many many mile of smiles, do not over heat them, because they cost an arm and a leg to repair
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

MB (20th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dash cracking - only on one particular year - and i dont know which from memory, but most were replaced by warranty, only lazy people didnt - much like the airbag recalls

wheel wobbles, there is a thread about them and how to fix
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

MB (24th August 2020)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. My son will not be doing any towing, but he certainly is looking for rock/mountains/mud fun over touring (borrows my 4wd for that). Only thing I am still not sure about is the number K's. I would assume this would vary between the Petrol and Diesel and how well maintained which can be hard to gauge. Once he gets the vehicle I will encourage him to join a 4wd club as I have found them a great way to learn as well as lots of fun.

Cheers

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stricky For This Useful Post:

MB (24th August 2020), MudRunnerTD (21st August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stricky View Post
    Thanks for the replies. My son will not be doing any towing, but he certainly is looking for rock/mountains/mud fun over touring (borrows my 4wd for that). Only thing I am still not sure about is the number K's. I would assume this would vary between the Petrol and Diesel and how well maintained which can be hard to gauge. Once he gets the vehicle I will encourage him to join a 4wd club as I have found them a great way to learn as well as lots of fun.

Cheers
    I put a Turbo on my GQ TD42 at 350,000kms and never looked back. I upgraded the Turbo and Big Fuel pump on my GUIV TD42Ti at 320,000kms and it loves it. I would call that High kms for any other variant.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (24th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running a 97 series 1 GU TB45e that has been on lg for 9 years. I've own it for the last 6 (I think), it's got over 500,000km. It's not rocket ship and really hates the long inclines, but drop a gear or 2 (auto) and it will pull all day long. On the tracks it keeps up with all the others and on the black stuff too. As for fuel I only recently replaced the fuel pump as it was only working on about 10.5 volts. Now I'm good for around 2-300 KMs on petrol (I've got the largest sub tank that can be fitted 70 odd litres) and 4-450 KMs on gas.

If he's seriously going to be remote touring he'll need a diesel. I managed to get around Tasmania a few years going with only a 30 litre petrol tank and gas isn't available everywhere like in Victoria.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

MB (24th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day again Stricky & Son Mates!
    Time to be Frank :-)
    Now that your interests are:
    “rock/mountains/mud”
    Safety wise for a young bloke, in fact any aged blokes/sheilas, you should honestly seek a 4.2L slug diesel variant for those tracks planned.
    Reasons being such as but not limited too IMHO :-)
    *Smaller cylinder donks do not have the compression to safely lower your boy down a gnarly track without braking, likewise uphill he’ll be spinning high rpm wheels instead of torque crawling. Yes we can add transfer case reduction gears to any petrol powered donk but bet you’ll never get close to a 999,000km faithful potential simple 4.2L donk too!
    Don’t let your young mate get too over zealous about ‘turbos’ too in his applications. 95% of the driving you are kindly suggesting would be below 1,500rpm and perfect TD42 NA grunt low range transfer box more than capable.
    Still cracks me up to this day how many 2,500rpm weapons can’t perform at say 900rpm :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously consider a GQ TD42, will save young son some 5-10k and they are so much more nimble in and around tracks

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=MB;807898]G’day again Stricky & Son Mates!
    Time to be Frank :-)
    Now that your interests are:
    “rock/mountains/mud”
    Safety wise for a young bloke, in fact any aged blokes/sheilas, you should honestly seek a 4.2L slug diesel variant for those tracks planned.
    Reasons being such as but not limited too IMHO :-)
    *Smaller cylinder donks do not have the compression to safely lower your boy down a gnarly track without braking, likewise uphill he’ll be spinning high rpm wheels instead of torque crawling. Yes we can add transfer case reduction gears to any petrol powered donk but bet you’ll never get close to a 999,000km faithful potential simple 4.2L donk too!
    Don’t let your young mate get too over zealous about ‘turbos’ too in his applications. 95% of the driving you are kindly suggesting would be below 1,500rpm and perfect TD42 NA grunt low range transfer box more than capable.
    Still cracks me up to this day how many 2,500rpm weapons can’t perform at say 900rpm :-)

Thanks, This is great advice. I think sometimes you can get lost in all the options, but most times you are just looking for a reliable fun vehicle. He currently drives my diesel 4Wd so he is used to not having a great amount of take off speed.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stricky For This Useful Post:

MB (24th August 2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast