Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for advice

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just after another clarification. Is the TD 4.2 mainly available in Manual? I don't want to start the manual vs auto debate but curious to know.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stricky For This Useful Post:

MB (24th August 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the best of my little knowledge they were all manual in the day mate, maybe some rare Safari auto imports out there possibly?
    Some of the Safari’s (high roof) were 24v too which may become problematic for modifications/maintenance here down under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son is one of those who said why do I need a Manual licence? So for the moment the 4.2 is off the table. Is there a reasonable to tell the the condition of the 3 Ltr Diesel? Some of the things I have read about them concern me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stricky For This Useful Post:

MB (26th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tell him he needs a manual licence wholly because of the TD42. In years ahead he'll be grateful.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MB (26th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice to any young person certainly interested in off-road adventures would be that they honestly should at the least be capable enough of driving their mates truck out in an emergency say snake bitten/broken leg unfortunate type situation. Of course their own automatic vehicle of choice would need to be bogged or swamped but disastrous scenarios can and do happen when seeking adventures.
    In between TD42 & TD42T’s personally favoured over the years I did purchase the Mrs an early 2002-ZD30 manual wagon of which we absolutely truly loved zipping around with our younger kids.
    Only 4 reasons we decided to sell it after 12 months second hand happy usage and put her back in a 2001 TD42T wagon with manual again, albeit was double the price 3.0L to 4.2L for wagons then:
    1) We were going to kill the clutch getting it off the mark living and towing in our mountainous home highway area.
    2) The Nissan Intercooler was requiring more money again to be spent welding a second time (was disclosed to new buyer)
    3) The runaway down steeper incline tracks was too high for my likings and would have required gear ratio dollars thrown at it.
    4) Started reading of early 3.0L ZD30 model pistons melting/cracking if abused like we were starting to do more by towing horses every other weekend. Prados I believe were prone to similar issues in the day too from overwork through incorrect tug boat of choice abuse.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Mickhead (27th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Tell him he needs a manual licence wholly because of the TD42. In years ahead he'll be grateful.
    As a testament to the old dinosaur donk 4.2 toughness and longevity my quest some years ago to find any floating around globally was interesting to say the least.
    Japan no longer makes them was told by a connection there yet a variant is still used to this day in Malaysia powering 8.0T tipper trucks & 5.0T delivery ‘UD’ trucks there.
    Across China many second hand donks were imported from Japan to power 20T locally built excavators and container forklifts that cop horrendous abuse daily with the worlds worst maintenance regime’s known.
    Back home, an old mates GQ clocked over 1,000,000km a few years back, will have to check where he’s at these days :-)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another random thought. Is it better to get a vehicle with known problems including dead motor? That way at least you know what you get. See a fair number of people selling with dead 3.0 motors. Can probably talk them down in price.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stricky For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd September 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all honesty it’s a very fair idea Stricky Mate!
    Just please do be very stringent on your calculations including new long motor, time, labour + bits and bobs we all have forgotten and been bitten by during rebuilds/conversions known and expressed by many others too.
    Fresh new peace of mind is a very comforting factor too I agree but please don’t disregard usage factors of potential gearing/compression needs if still planned for young son applicable?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12