Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Removing a Steering Wheel in a GUIV with Airbag

Hi Gents,

Well i did this a couple of years ago after my leather bound factory wheel split and i had to cut off the sheath. The replacement is wearing also and in time will need replacing too. i will get it retrimmed next time.

I was a little anxious about taking a Steering wheel off with an Airbag but it is very simple and the airbag is not going to explode on impact.

Forgive me, these photos were taken back then and i have just found them on the computer so i may be missing some detail but you get the gist. It is a very very simple task.

You will need a small pik to open the cover of the screws and a #55 Torx bit i think? I cant remember but i had to go and buy one. I bought a cheapish set and put it in the tool box for Ron.

(Edit) DISCONNECT the Battery for Safety's sake.

IMG_8518.jpeg

IMG_8519.jpeg

There is a Screw on each side of the steering wheel. Remove both.

IMG_8520.jpeg

IMG_8522.jpeg

IMG_8523.jpeg

IMG_8521.jpeg

IMG_8529.jpeg

IMG_8528.jpeg

IMG_8525.jpeg

IMG_8526.jpeg

Give the steering wheel a good hit at the 3 and 9 position side to side and it should lift out.

follow your nose, it really is a 5 or 10 minute job. Hope this helps.

IMG_8524.jpeg
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 18th August 2020 at 05:59 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Rossco (18th August 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you disconnect the battery first?
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (18th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    Did you disconnect the battery first?
    To be honest..... I cant remember.. It really was 5 or 6 years ago. Let the Answer be YES. I edited it Thanks
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 18th August 2020 at 06:00 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you need to mark the alignment of the steering wheel with the spindle so that it went back on straight?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    To be honest..... I cant remember.. It really was 5 or 6 years ago. Let the Answer be YES. I edited it Thanks
    Yeah I disconnect the battery when removing mine, but I think there is a secquence or something as I now can't stop the air bag light from flashing. And stuffed if I'm paying Ni$$an to do it. So it remains flashing. I have the GUIV leather wheel in my GUII. I had to get a GUIV clock spring and graft half of it into half of the GUII clock spring, worked a treat. Until I removed the wheel for a second time and now the air bag light issue.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    Did you need to mark the alignment of the steering wheel with the spindle so that it went back on straight?
    Yeah see the white nipple bit on the clock spring pictured? Theres a matching groove in the back side of the wheel. Which it needs to sit in.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (19th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    The reading I did before doing my steering wheel audio controls was; disconnect battery, disconnect airbag plug, reconnect airbag plug, reconnect battery.
    If you disconnect the airbag with the battery connected you get an airbag warning light on the dash that you need to get reset or cleared at a Nissan dealership.
    (I'm not sure if you can clear the warning yourself somehow, but I didn't want to have try, or have the airbag with power to it while I was moving it).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah see the white nipple bit on the clock spring pictured? Theres a matching groove in the back side of the wheel. Which it needs to sit in.
    Ah yeh, I see that.
    I have plans to remove my (GU III) steering wheel at some point, so this is helpful info

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The reading I did before doing my steering wheel audio controls was; disconnect battery, disconnect airbag plug, reconnect airbag plug, reconnect battery.
    If you disconnect the airbag with the battery connected you get an airbag warning light on the dash that you need to get reset or cleared at a Nissan dealership.
    (I'm not sure if you can clear the warning yourself somehow, but I didn't want to have try, or have the airbag with power to it while I was moving it).
    Yeah I have the audio control button and clock spring to suit new in a box, I'm contemplating putting in next week, as I have been told from work, to stay home.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I actually swapped wheels so I didn't mark. I just mafe sure the wheel was straight before I started and installed straight again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast