Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aftermarket fan / genuine fan

Hello!
    I was wondering if any of you know if there is much of a difference between buying an aftermarket fan for my radiator or a genuine one. I have a patrol 2.8 diesel 1998 and I've heard they tend to overheat and right now it has a non-genuine fan that activates with a switch, I've been recommended to put a regular one back on but I don't know if it's worth the extra money for the genuine one.
    Sorry if it's a bit of a noob question, It's the best car that I've bought and I'm learning
    Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ainoa For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th August 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, if someone has removed the Viscous fan in favour of a Thermo Fan and electric switch then 100% the Viscous is a better setup. If the car getting hot now?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply! It's not getting hot now but I live in Denmark (WA) so absolutely nothing gets hot in here at the moment hahaha. Planing to go up north tho so I want to make sure that the cooling system is in good condition.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you will probably find they removed the viscus hub and fan because it was shot, and was a cheaper fix to fit the thermo fans

in all honesty, the original setup is the best for these
    if you have a GOOD mechanic - not just a spanner spinner - get them to get the viscus hub & fan from Mr Nissan - costs, but works better than aftermarket (I have tried the "cheaper" aftermarket, then had to spend more on original parts for my cooling system)
    and while they are there, get them to pull the radiator out and back flush it, as well as spraying from engine side out - to clean it out, also do the aircon evap cooler in situ from the engine side
    you will be amazed at the amount of crud that will come out
    once that is done, you "should" have many happy travels without radiator problems - unless there is something else wrong somewhere
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with OEM fan. Buy once cry once.