Thread: Y61-TB42 manual clutch issue

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y61-TB42 manual clutch issue

Hi everyone, I have a Y61 TB42 manual (rare, I know, but trust me, this is the config from factory). As the vehicle gets warm the clutch starts to slip, or doesn't release smoothly. I am not an experienced automotive mechanic, but am capable with a tool set. I am also in a fairly remote location and need to fix this myself.

Main question is, how to I diagnose the problem so I can order the right parts the first time?

Any all advice appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate if we all knew the answer to that we would have saved a fortune on parts over the years.

If could be a couple of things. Clutch itself, master cylinder, slave might even be sticky (assuming it's hydraulic). I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "doesn't release smoothly", but that could also point to any of it.

Do you know when the clutch itself was last changed out? That would probably be where I start if it's been a while.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, it hasn't had any work on it since new in 1999. Got no TLC. Is there a resource on here where I can find out how to identify the clutch type / size or whatever so I know what to order? I assume it would be the usual clutch for the TB42, but assumption is the mother of all f* ups, and being a rare model I can't find any info on it specifically.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try bleeding the clutch system, checking for oil contamination and checking the pedal height as per the manual before assuming the clutch is worn out.

I had a van with a clutch that started slipping and it turned out that some oil from the rear engine seal had gotten on the clutch surface. The only sign was a drip of oil at the bottom of the bell housing.

I fixed it by driving and slipping the clutch until the oil had burned off. Took about ten minutes but it stunk like hell.
    Last edited by mudnut; 7th August 2020 at 01:12 PM.