Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB42 Timing Cover replacement

Hi All,

I have removed the water pump and found it has a bit of corrosion due to the previous owners lack of maintenance, it would probably be OK so long as I use the correct anti corrosive coolant. I would really like to replace it though and looking at it closely I notice to remove and replace the timing cover requires 2 bolts at the front of the head to be removed. My personal feeling is not to touch it unless I replace the head gasket BUT is it possible to replace the timing cover without having to touch the head.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did this, in the end I removed the head to replace the shit gasket that the rebuilder used. According to the manual, you can remove the timing chain cover without removing the head. It says to be careful and not damage the small tab from the head gasket that runs between the head and the top of the cover.

You will probably need to remove the sump, I tore the sump gasket as the rebuilder used both a gasket and gasket goo on it (sigh).

When you put it back in, remember that there is a oil connector through into the oil cover that lubricates the distributor.

Download the manual from here, it has some pretty good instructions if you know your way mechanically around things.
    Greg Pointing
    Conservation, Rehabilitation & Education
    1989 GQ Patrol Wagon, TB42 Auto - Now with 2" of added lift...
    1991 Mazda MX5 - Coilovers, Exhaust, Intake, NB brakes & seats.
    2012 Mitsubishi Triton 4x4 Dual cab TDI - The Mrs truck....