Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TB42 won’t start

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think @Avo is getting at that the timing chain has stretched or jumped a cog.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose is is possible Mudnut. I disconnected the fuel feed for the Carby and she almost ran until the fuel left in the Carby ran out so I am suspected it is a flooding issue. So back out with the Carby again. Mind you, I will check the timing as Avo suggests as well. Thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check the needle and seat. I've had a bit muck stick in the seat, which allowed the fuel to pump in and flood the engine. Also squirt a smidge of engine oil in the spark plug hole of each cylinder and crank it over with the plugs out. (make sure you ground the coil lead). This is because the petrol will have washed the oil off the cylinder walls and lowered compression, adding friction for the starter to overcome. As I wrote, only a few drops of oil, so it coats the cylinder wall as you don't want to hydraulic lock the piston and bend a rod.
    Last edited by mudnut; 31st July 2020 at 12:27 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Lightwork (31st July 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the timing as suggested and that’s all good. I also took the Carby apart, checked the float and needle etc. She still won’t start.

So, I am back to checking through everything yet again. My understanding of the Petronix Ignitor is that it either works or it doesn’t, is that correct or can there be middle ground in its condition?

I ask because it is the only component in the electrical system which has not been replaced. The spark from the coil to the distributor looks strong and blue, whilst the spark from the distributor seems like it could be a little better. Starting to clutch at straws now!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightwork For This Useful Post:

Avo (2nd August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you try spraying a bit of "Start ya Bastard', down the carby, without the fuel pump on?

Where are you? Is there anyone you can swap components with, to trouble shoot?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I did try that, it sounded like it was going to start and managed a few revolutions but that was about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day LW Mate!
    When you mention it tried to start was that without assistance from the starter motor mate?
    In theory, if spark is goodish, you should be able to keep her running for at least a little short safe while via carefully metered spray can hopefully.
    Otherwise, back to Avo Mate and Mudnut whom runs similar I believe as his daily beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes thats right MB, she would sound like she wants to go, I would release the starter and then she would manage another couple of revolutions on her own before dying again. The revolutions are a struggle, quite slow.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers LW Mate!
    So so hard for my nuffy noggin to understand now, thinking AVO Mate is on the money for you bloke.
    Any chance of a sound recording/video so betterer blokes can hear the shenanigans underway mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the plot has thickened considerably...

During this whole saga, at one point the fuel pump killed itself and kindly let me know by weeping oil out as it should to alert me of its capitulation. However, what I have eventually discovered it that is also let a considerable amount of petrol into the oil pan. This made the oil so thin that it appears it didn't have the viscosity to make the valves do their job. Once the oil/petrol mix was drained out of the car and new oil put in, hey presto, she started!

However, its not all good news. Whilst she now starts, she is still missing very badly and belching out white smoke exactly as she was doing just before the fuel pump went and she stopped starting. Given I have changed everything else I am wondering if the valves are not seating properly or the seats have had it and she needs new seats, springs etc. Anyone had experience of this?

Is there a valve kit you can buy, so far I have only found new heads?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightwork For This Useful Post:

MB (11th August 2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast