OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Are there different rear sway bar shape for the GQ avail?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there different rear sway bar shape for the GQ avail?

Clearing out the garage i came across my rear sway bar that was shoved in the corner as i could not re-connect it after fitting the 70L belly tank. I probably spent an hour , at the time trying to find that exact 'route' to get the sway bar to clear the tank and the diff housing.

So, are all the sway bars the same shape on the GQ or do the aftermarket suppliers change the shape at all? Once i have cleared the garage floor i intend getting back under the vehicle to determine where it is clashing - so more a general question. Additionally does anyone custom make sway bars in Australia? Mine is a July 1997 - last run into the country, originally a 2.8 TD LWB.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure if it helps much but there were 3 options for rear sway bar d bushes on GQ's ... different sizes. cant tell you if they are shaped different though
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What was it fouling in Phil? Do you just have a standard long range sub? I have not heard this before.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garett View Post
    not sure if it helps much but there were 3 options for rear sway bar d bushes on GQ's ... different sizes. cant tell you if they are shaped different though
    I believe they are just different thickness. Did you have a factory disconnect? Even that still mounts to the same spot.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I believe they are just different thickness. Did you have a factory disconnect? Even that still mounts to the same spot.
    No factory disconnect, bog standard. the long range belly tank was out of a petrol, so unsure if it was made longer than the diesel version, and my nephew who gave me the tank said his patrol wasn't fitted with the rear sway bar when he bought it. I believe its a Brown Davis belly tank. I need to get back under the car and try to fit it again and i think the issue was getting it over the diff coming from the pass side and it was hitting the tank. I will update later this week - still clearing out the garage after 15 yrs of clutter accumulation! I could ring BD I guess, but the last time I did that, to resolve the fuel tank inlet filler pipe it cost me $200 for a couple of exhaust tube bends that didn't fit anyway, so unsure how accurate their advice would be.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (28th July 2020)