Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ZD30 intercooler

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollenface View Post
    It has a stainless mesh filter so will not likely be as good at catching oil as the Provent or Flashlube CC.
    Ok good to know, I will get one of the other ones, thanks.
    2021 Y62 Ti 5.6lt
    2006 GU ST-S 3.0lt Z30 DDi 4sp Auto

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mann & Hummel Provent 200 is the best on the market in my opinion. The drawback, they are pricey if you want a simple kit to fit up. Buying the can itself is cheaper of course but you then need to make your own bracket and plumb it in. Not hard if your handy with this stuff.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys

Thanks for the info. My son has just purchased 2001 Nissan Patrol and intercooler is leaking oil. Very new to this. Is this engine oil or something else as my understanding intercooler is air only. Can anybody recommend an aftermarket replacement please.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, son just brought a unit and the intercoooler is leaking oil. Can I ask where you got yours from and is it welded please - Nev

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niftyjk View Post
    Guys

Thanks for the info. My son has just purchased 2001 Nissan Patrol and intercooler is leaking oil. Very new to this. Is this engine oil or something else as my understanding intercooler is air only. Can anybody recommend an aftermarket replacement please.
    Nev, the oil residue that is evident on your sons intercooler (eg: most likely where the core mates with the crimped end tanks_if not a welded construction).

Extract from Western Filters web page
    With late model diesel emissions systems they are required to return internal fumes from the top of the crankcase and back to the Air intake system. This air often has tiny droplets of oil called Blow-by, and over time accumulate clogging up Air Intake Manifolds, Intercoolers and Turbo Chargers, generally reducing performance of your vehicle. EGR Valves & Coolers are also affected turning the normally dry carbon or soot into a sludgy tar like substance again slowly reducing performance and economy of your vehicle over time.
    Most install a quality Catch Can that will trap a good +90% of the oil (Blow-by) and prevents it from going into your air intake system. Very good investment.

Where is the oil evident on the intercooler, maybe the air intake pipe that clamps up to turbo and what about the boost hoses in and out of intercooler. Any pics of intercooler/leaks?

Some of the other members may suggest a reasonable priced quality welded cooler (even heard of good quality/budget ones of Ebay), just depends on your Budget and future intentions with eng mods.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niftyjk View Post
    Guys

Hi Nev

As Biftyjk said, the oil is collected via a Crank Case Breather and feed into the Air Intake just before the Turbo, most post 1980's vehicles have this type of setup now due to Vehicle Industry Anti-pollution Rules, in the past the vent tube was just vented straight down onto the road.

My truck is a 2013 build. The Catch Can I fitted is a SAAS Baffled Catch Can purchased from Autobarn for only $130 odd dollars. This is the second SAAS Catch Can I have fitted, the first one fitted in my 2012 Navara D22 for about 6 years.

Your Son's intercooler will look something like Mine on the underside as I'd say, the top of My intercooler was the same as the underside when I got it, but I wash my engine at lest once a month, so the top of the intercooler has been cleaned a few times this year and is much cleaner then the underside,

I removed my intercooler about a week ago, so the oil residual on the underside of the intercooler is 7 years worth, So I took the opportunity to hit it with the pressure washer while it was off. Also remove a lot of oil and dirt from the core as well.

Before Pressure Wash Cleaning
    118665812_311126433505780_4773842006367778109_n.jpg

After Pressure Wash Cleaning
    118688356_1154937414888357_8727812883475342977_n.jpg

After installing the My Catch Can in March, the Catch Can removes about 20-30ml of oil a Month, I've never flushed My Intercooler Out after installing my Catch Can, I use to have oil just oozing out of my hoses when I removed them, now I have a couple of drops of oil every 10sec's, so nowhere as bad as I use to have going through the intercooler.

The following photo's shows how much oil residual still goes through even with My Catch Can.

The Intake Hose from the Intercooler
    118692695_796734731154194_2405243396234287004_n.jpg

Turbo Outlet
    118622301_3486303481420849_2061708219111373746_n.jpg

Since installing the Catch Can, My Air Intake Hose to the Turbo has nowhere near as mush Oil Residual sitting around the hose base.

I've been meaning to Flush Out the inside of the intercooler to remove the built-up oil from over the years, just haven't got around to it yet . . . maybe in the next month or so now we are getting warmer days to help dry it out.
    Last edited by Grant209; 7th September 2020 at 09:05 AM.
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grant209 For This Useful Post:

10G (7th September 2020)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123