Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check out my new flares and mud flaps

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used garden edging on mine and it turned out great...until summer last year where the sun warped the shit out of them lmao. I actually saw a trick that I’m going to try eventually that looked great and keeps the shape of the edging.

Using a thin rigid plastic board (like a bread board) about 3/4mm thick you cut out little rectangles. Long enough for one end to bolt under the guard to the original flare holes and then another hole on the outside edge of the plastic tab to attach the garden flare. It’ll look like about 8 or 10 tabs hanging out of your guard once the tabs are bolted up. Then you bolt the garden edging to the top of each tab (using allen key stainless bolts looks great and professional btw). Not only makes them sturdier but also helps them keep their shape.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is it. From 2012. And it was from here hahaha. Didn’t even realise. Great idea. Just trim the flare a bit rounder. Thats what i did. Looks almost factory 👍🏼

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...g-and-under-30

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Survivalists For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (21st July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Survivalists View Post
    This is it. From 2012. And it was from here hahaha. Didn’t even realise. Great idea. Just trim the flare a bit rounder. Thats what i did. Looks almost factory ����

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...g-and-under-30
    hahahaha.. @AB your Famous. Looks better in the pics mate.....
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (21st July 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by First Pooy View Post
    So I finally got around to making my custom flares and mud flaps, I am happy with the job but it didn't end up as neat as I wanted it, I was told that garden edging was a good idea, but no one told me how hard it is to apply.
    Sorry guys I thought that I had posted my pictures here as well but obviously not well here we go20200719_161639.jpg20200719_151020.jpg20200719_151040.jpg

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to First Pooy For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (24th July 2020), MudRunnerTD (27th July 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do they hold their shape at speed? Are they strong enough to hold the original shape, or return to the intended shape? I like the look and think they would look fine also under a set of scrub rails. Certainly a lot easier on the pocket than the Kut Snake alternative.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They look really good, but it was funnier without the pics
    Last edited by mudnut; 24th July 2020 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    How do they hold their shape at speed? Are they strong enough to hold the original shape, or return to the intended shape? I like the look and think they would look fine also under a set of scrub rails. Certainly a lot easier on the pocket than the Kut Snake alternative.
    I still had to work out how I wanted to shape the front, but they are hard plastic so quit ridged and will stand up to speed, I was talking to a guy and when I said to him that I wanted the garden edging as a cheap alternative is case I rip them off, and he said you will not ripe them off because on his it bent the guard before ripping the edging off, but all this is useless now because even though I checked with my engineer about what is allowed to be used for your flares, what he didn't tell me is that the edges have to be rounded so if I hit someone it will not slice them if I side swipe them, so after buying all my shit and spending 2 days chasing and doing the job it is not legal, WTF that is why I rang him to make sure it was legal and not to double handle well that want to hell didn't it,so all that money and time is lost.
    Last edited by First Pooy; 24th July 2020 at 10:35 PM.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a PIA. Good to hear about the structural integrity though. If it was me, I would probably just add a 25-40mm radius to the front leading corner where they tuck into the bullbar, and then take a sanding block and say coarse sandpaper and run along the edge of the flare and break the corner, follow it up with some fine sandpaper for cosmetic effect. I mean you may never get picked up, and if you do I guess worst case is a small fine and take them off - would think they would be more foced on you having the flares to stop the debris flick than the radius on the edges, unless you are going to put it thru an engineering process.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (25th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A long time ago, I wanted to do something similar. I also thought that taking a few mm off the edge and splitting a bit of rubber hose to glue on to it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    What a PIA. Good to hear about the structural integrity though. If it was me, I would probably just add a 25-40mm radius to the front leading corner where they tuck into the bullbar, and then take a sanding block and say coarse sandpaper and run along the edge of the flare and break the corner, follow it up with some fine sandpaper for cosmetic effect. I mean you may never get picked up, and if you do I guess worst case is a small fine and take them off - would think they would be more foced on you having the flares to stop the debris flick than the radius on the edges, unless you are going to put it thru an engineering process.
    Well I had the fantastic idea of putting pinch weld on the side problem solved,but the engineer bailed on me saying that he can no longer advise me remotely he said he can only say yes or no when he sees it in person that doesn't help me because he isn't that close and I can not afford for it not to pass the first time, that is way I was double checking stuff, so after all of that I decided it wasn't worth it not passing so I thought I would go and buy the proper stuff and wouldn't you have it they are out of stock ffs.20200725_154307.jpg20200725_154325.jpg well what is wrong with that, I was told to get a pool noodle and run it down the side and that will similat a person's body, well I haven't used the noodle yet but I ran my fingers up and down fast and nothing happened to them.
    Last edited by First Pooy; 25th July 2020 at 03:17 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to First Pooy For This Useful Post:

mudnut (25th July 2020)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast